VS6 review by Vintage

Vintage: VS6

Purchased from: The Music Shop

For my style of metal, such as Firewind and Children of Bodom, this guitar sounds good. The bridge pickup has a good 'bite' to it for powerchords and palm-muting, although the bridge's lead tones are slightly thin and lacking. The neck pickup is a good choice for solos, as its more 'full' sound works for metal solos. I only use this guitar with my Roland Cube 20X, so maybe my opinion on overall sound is going to be weaker than somebody with a full Marshall stack, but personally I think that the guitar has a good balanced sound (as long as you're prepared to Switch pickups mid song) for metal.

Overall, I am very pleased with this guitar. I've only played on 3 different guitars, two of which were strat-copies, but I can tell that this is a good guitar. It sounds good for metal and rock, is easy to play and looks good. If the guitar were to malfunction or were to be stolen, on my budget I would buy it again without any quibbles. However, I would probably start looking for more expensive options as my ability is growing, and therefore I would look at LTDs and Deans. I'd also love a guitar with a Floyd Rose, which is the only thing I really wish this guitar also had. Overall, I would suggest this guitar to anybody out there, whether they are advanced players or slow-starters.

I personally think this guitar will easily stand up to live playing. I'm playing live with a band before the end of the year and I am confident I will not need a back-up guitar on hand. Everything seems strong enough to stand up to the demands, although I do have to take a pair of tongs along... the guitar fell over recently and one of the pegs shattered way too easily, so that's my only real niggle with the durability of the guitar, as even dents I have in the guitar do not affect the finish. Back to playing live though, there are a couple of things you have to be aware of. As with all SG style guitars with the top mounted jack, you have to be careful not to stand on your lead and either wreck the lead or the jack plug. Also, i had 2 non-locking straps that seemed to slip off a bit too easily when I moved around. However, using a Planet Waves locking strap that problem was negated, so I suggest this to anyone aiming to play live with this guitar.

I got the guitar as a present in a huge box, so I'm assuming the guitar is as it was set-up from the family. All I had to do was get the guitar out and tune it before I knew I had a well set-up guitar in my hands. The action is low enough for my style of playing, the pickups worked nicely, and I was straight into playing more complex patterns than I could ever achieve on my old Strat-replica. There are a couple of niggling flaws though. The bolt on the pickup selector always manages to work itself loose, which can get irritating when changing from bridge to neck, but if you can put up with tightening it then you're fine. Also, the jack plug bolt can sometimes become a bit loose which can shake up the electrics a bit (to the point of cutting out for a second yesterday) but once I retightened it it all works again.

The Vintage VS6 is a 22-fret SG style guitar with Wilkinson Humbuckers (with a 3-way selector) and a tune-o-matic bridge. The mahogany body is finished in cherry red and looks GORGEOUS. The tuning pegs are Vintage's own. The features are fantastic for the style you expect an SG-style guitar to do (classic rock, classic metal), but with a bit of work the guitar also works well with faster metal like Children of Bodom. However, there are limits to the features of this guitar, with the pickups and neck being slightly tricky for extreme styles of rock and metal, like Dragonforce or other 'shred' artists.