VS6 review by Vintage

Vintage: VS6

Price paid: C$ 480

Purchased from: Music City

I play classic rock, old 70s Sabbath/Judas Priest-style metal, thrash metal, speed metal, 80s hard rock/heavy metal and a little classical, and the pickups in the VS6 hold up great to anything from clean to wild scooped-mids distortion. I play through a Randall RX75RG2 75-watt combo and a DigiTech RP90, and I find it has a really beefy tone out of it, great for rhythm, and I'd put the tone on par with a Gibson SG Special, which is double the price around here. I'd give it a 10 here, because I really can't think of a guitar I've played that's sounded a good deal better, especially not for the $480 I paid for it.

I play all kinds of old-school stuff, and this guitar is a great match for me. I've been playing for 2 years, and out of my current guitar lineup(this, a Dean MLX and a late '80s model BC Rich Platinum Assassin) this is my favorite soundwise. If it was stolen I'd get another providing I had the money. The guitar has a reaaaaaaally nice sound you wouldn't normally expect from a $480 guitar, and I love the feel of it, but as I've been continually stating, I hate those tuners. I tried out a Fender MIA Strat, a Gibson Les Paul of some sort, an Epiphone G-400, a Gibson SG Special, an Ibanez RG of some sort, a Godin Les Paul-type guitar and a Gibson SG Standard, and I'd say this was probably the third nicest-sounding out of those(the Gibson SG Standard and the MIA Strat being above), and the nicest-looking and second cheapest(the Godin was used and going for $350) out of them, so I'm glad to have got it. I'd give it a 9, it sounds, feels and looks like a Gibson SG Special, for a fraction of the price.

I think this guitar'll last a long time, and I'd gig with it, although I'm thinking those tuners might need a swap for some Grovers sometime soon. The strap buttons are a lot more reliable than those on my Dean(whose strap buttons tend to let go of the guitar, and having your guitar fall mid-gig is just a liiiiiiittle bit of a problem), and the finish definitely seems like it's going to last. I'd give it a 9 here, because, again, those tuners aren't very good, but everything else is fine, and

The VS6 I bought was a floor model, so it was all set up great, and the finish was pretty much flawless(I got it in a transparent cherry red a la Angus Young, and I think it's beautiful). The G string's tuner doesn't seem to work too well(I'm thinking it's the nut, it'll be flat so I'll turn it a little bit and nothing happens then I turn it again a little more and it'll be sharp, and it's been like it on all 4 sets of strings I've gone through since I got it in June), and the saddle on the high E came a little loose after a while but I fixed it with no problems. I'd give it an 8 for the tuner and the saddle, because otherwise the guitar was set up great, and the finish is beautiful and well-applied.

The Vintage VS6 is an SG-style guitar made in the UK with a mahogany body, mahogany set-in neck, two Wilkinson humbuckers, a batwing pickguard, a Wilkinson Tune-O-Matic with stopbar, 2 tone/volume knobs, trapezoid inlays(which I love) and Wilkinson Deluxe tuners. I love the feel of it, the neck's fairly thin, but not Ibanez-thin, and fast, and I usually hate gloss/finished necks, but I don't mind the neck one at all, and the guitar itself is nice and light, good for on-stage madness. I'd give it an 8 for features, because the tuners and bridge aren't exactly top-notch, and while they do stay in tune reasonably well, it doesn't stay in tune as well as my Dean MLX.