VS6 review by Vintage

Vintage: VS6

Purchased from: Mark One Music - Deal

It suits my music style very nicely - it plays classic rock well, but best of all it plays (curiously) metal and blues. The guitar itself seems to be suited to a distorted tone, and playing jazz on it is nigh on impossible. For a metal player, maybe the strings are not thick enough for downtuned riffing, but the high strings are beautiful for soloing on - I just keep breaking the damned high E! I am currently using a Peavey Vypyr 30, so consequently it is having to cope with lots of effects that are already built into the amp.

I play mainly metal, and this is a very nice guitar to play it on. There are better out there, but I believe that for this kind of price it is one of the best around for small amounts of distortion to heavy downtuned riffs. I have been playing since I was 8 - that was 7 years ago now - and have since amassed a collection of two electrics (this and a Squier Stratocaster Copy), two nylon strings (both awful), two amps (a Peavey Vypyr 30 and A Fender Frontman 15), and a Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz pedal (which is good but eats batteries). I did compare it to one other guitar, (an Epiphone Les Paul Copy), but as I was after an SG, this was the obvious choice for me. I love the body, the sound and the fingerboard - I hate the frets though!

This guitar will withstand live playing very well, and the hardware (apart from the frets) is very durable and will keep going and going. The strap buttons are definitely solid (if a bit small), although I would bring another guitar - not because of the quality (which it isn't), but more to do with string breakages, as I'm a clumsy idiot.

The action was OK - if a bit low to be honest! THe pickups were adjusted perfectly, and therefore I had to do no tampering upon getting it home. It does, however, have one large flaw. The frets get 'notched' after about a year's usage on a couple of places, and this is (according to where I live) a pain to repair.

I am unsure what year it was made, but as I bought it new I would hazard a guess of 2007/2008, and as with all Vintage guitars, it was made in China. It has a 22 fret neck on a mahogany fingerboard, with (at a guess) fat frets. On the neck, there are pearl inlays, and positioning dots on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 19th, and 21st frets, so even an idiot like me can't get lost! SG Copy body means that it has a double cutaway body, and the characteristic cherry red colouring, but this can vary. The tuners are Wilkinson, as is the bridge, and there is no whammy bar, and the tuners are non locking- bit of a pain but there we go.There are two volume controls and two tone controls, with a three-way pickup Switch between treble-normal(?)-rhythm. I got a case with it, but this was second hand, costing me 30.

Enix165
    Breakingpoint56 wrote: Why not...just buy an SG. why get a poser? Doesn't have to be a gibson..could have been an epiphone. Buying knockoffs is a good way to look at a company. If they can't come up with anything original and have to just make knockoffs, then they aren't someone id buy from.
    I tried an Epi G400 before getting my VS6, it cost $70 more, and it weighed about twice as much, the neck felt like it was coated in glue and the pickups were pieces of crap, I've actually never heard such a muddy guitar. XD
    ilikekfc
    ive got a dark cherry red version and it is fabulous i love the playability and the look i think their is only one thing ill change im going to put some seymour duncans on it and its going to be the best guitar ive ever played and ive had a go on gibsons.
    rv_phoenix
    VS6 plays in another league than the Epis. It is not at all a "beginner's guitar", because you need some experience to get the best of it. This means THERE IS a lot to get, while in a "beginner's guitar" there is almost nothing. Its only awkward feature are the tuning keys, which are fragile and tend to buzz while playing, messing with guitar's harmonics. Its only real competitor is Gibson's SG, and believe me the Vintage axe has its own virtues. For instance, its neck is better than Gibson's: everyone who has used an SG knows that its neck is quite thin and tend to bend in solos made on the first 6-8 frets,thus messing the whole tuning. VS6 has a solid thick neck, pretty much similar to a Les Paul. The result - a neck that doesn't bend - equals a perfect tuning stability: not the case of an SG (I suspect Tommy Iommi's guitars have extra carbon fibre truss rods in their necks, in order to cope with this problem...). Besides that, Trev Wilkinson's PAFs, made after the receipe given by Seth Lover, are potted with a better wax than Gibson's, hence then specific PAF microphony, which can be heard on any all-tube amp above 50 Watts, has vanished. Don't ignore Vintage: it's the make of the moment. Although I don't understand very well their marketing strategy (with labels such as "Reissued", "Icon" and "Advance"), although there are some products who show up the cheap labour behind them, Vintage guitars are really good. And, what's more important, you can gig and record with them, no matter where and on which equipment. Don' forget we're talking about 250-300 euros. That's quite rare nowadays.
    MrTjgale
    Im still unsure as to whether this VINTAGE is better or more worth buying that the EPIPHONE G-400? They're pretty much the same price but I don't know which one to get!
    rv_phoenix
    As I've already said, the VS6 is more reffined and superior to an Epi in all respects. Its sustain is better, the stock pickups are amazing, the finish is flawless. By replacing the odd tuning pegs by some Grovers for Gibson (PMMH 51, if my memory doesn't betray me), which cost about 80 euros, you can actually get a real pro guitar for less than 400 euros. Show me the Epi who can do that! The equivalent from Gibson costs at least 1000 euros, even more.
    alexfrag
    I've got mine in black, thinking about upgrading the pickups with gib's original humbuckers.