VS6 review by Vintage

Vintage: VS6

Price paid: A$ 350

Purchased from: Blackwood Music School

Unfortunately, as it is a short scale guitar with passive pickups, it does not suit the playing style of metal, as in anything lower than Drop C, the strings do not cope so well. However, it does do alright, considering. I only have a small practise amp (30W) with only the in built distortion, and it does still pull out some great harmonics and sounds from the amp.

This guitar is best for rock style of music, not so much metal, which is what I pay mostly. However, it can perform it with little difficulty. I have been playing for about 3 years, and I own very little gear, only the guitar, a strap and an amp. But this all I need at the moment. I am currently building a 7 string, which will compliment this guitar nicely. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy another one, I like the way it feels and plays. I love nearly everything about it, apart from the lack of frets.

I believe that it would be well up the challenge of live playing and the hardware is of decent quality so there is no problem there. The strap buttons are very well set out in comfortability of where they are, structural position and durability. I would would use this as a singular guitar at a live gig, unless there was a requirement to radically switch tunings. The finish is good, and I have only managed to chip a small part of it off near the back electronics cover in the 3 years that I have owned the guitar.

Currently, the action is very wrong, as when I last replaced the strings, the bridge moved and I am currently trying to fix it. So the action is too low in some parts, and ok in others. The neck is not at the correct angle either which is another factor in the action problem. However, when I purchased the guitar, the action was very good, although not extremely low action, it was still very playable. When I bought the guitar, the strings were not in a very good condition, but this is unlikely a factory error, most likely the transit to the dealer, and the time in which it was waiting to be sold. I have not had a single problem with the pickups, although the pickup selector could be a little quieter, but it does not affect the playability of the guitar.

Vintage VS6, Gibson SG quality copy. Made from Mahogany in a laminated body with no extra top, giving it the standard SG thin body feel. It has a set-in Mahogany neck with 22 frets at 24 3/4", mounted on a Rosewood board. I purchased it in the classic cherry red, semi see-through colour. It has 2 humbuckers, which are Wilkinson passive pickups which give very different sounds. 3 way switch with standard passive electronics. The Tune-O-Matic style bridge gives this guitar much more depth in playing style, but is limited due to the lack of tremolo. Along with this bridge, there are 6 (3x3) Wilkinson tuners, in fitting with the name, the Vintage style which almost look as though they would glow in the dark (which was a let down). I've never seen this in stores since I bought it, but I paid 350 (sale from 500) but it's worth between 230 - 300 pounds on an English guitar online shop.

rv_phoenix
    The newly added reviwew, submitted by jimmy_bones1 , is another example of how easy amateur opinions - legitimate by all means - are accepted here at the UG as reviews (which is a completely different thing). Dear fellow: what do you mean when you say the bridge has moved when you replaced the strings? The entire bridge, or only the stopbar (which is supposed to move , since it's not attached to anything)? Stopbar's guidance screws can't be switched unless you use a screwdriver, so it's virtually impossible to change its position only by replacing the strings. What do you mean when you say the guitar's neck isn't set at the correct angle? It's a set neck : if the angle was wrong, then you would have noticed it instantly when you purchased the guitar, because a wrong angle makes the guitar hardly playable (or unplayable in most cases). You've just said that the music shop's setup was good, everything changed when you replaced the strings. Did it occur to your mind the idea you have no idea about how to handle such an instrument? And, if you aren't experienced enough to replace the strings without damaging the setup, why do you write reviews? What's the big experience you are ready to share with us? ... Yet, the guy rewarded an 8,6 overall to the axe he pretends to have a major construction flaw (wrong neck angle) and countless average and minor ones. Remarkably indeed.