VS6 review by Vintage

Vintage: VS6

Purchased from: Preloved

I have been playing for two years, and I am told by most people that I am musically gifted and sound like I have been playing all of my life apparently. I play all sorts of genres man. Everything from jazz, rhythm and blues, early rock and roll, to punk rock, modern alternative and pop, to the occasional piece of metal. Providing that you select the correct tonal and volume settings, there is not one genre listed above that this guitar cannot handle brilliantly. I currently do not own my own amp as I am a poor man(it is something I am going to get for Christmas), but I am currently taking advantage of my college music department's Marshall ValveState V8080. I find that this amp has a lush reverb and compliments the natural tone of the guitar well. With this guitar, you can switch from the sound you would expect to hear on a Green Day song to the sound you would expect from a Chuck Berry song in a matter of seconds. It's just that brilliant. This is my fourth guitar. Before this I owned a Gear4Music Stratocaster (don't even bother), a Johnson Stratocaster (a little better, its a project atm) and a Stagg Les Paul (poorly balanced, felt nasty to play). This is the best guitar in terms of sound I have played so far. I even prefer it to the Fender Telecaster, of which I tried out in the music shop. Please don't hold that against me, I just prefer it to the Tele.

As I mention earlier in the review, I play a variety of styles and this copes well with every one of them. I already said how long I have been playing for and my lack of an amp, and mentioned my preference of this baby to a Fender Telecaster. I have no regrets at buying this guitar at 25 and would happily save up 300 if this was lost or stolen. If I came along money, I would obviously opt for a Gibson, But I thoroughly believe that this is the best alternative that is cheaper than Gibson. I love the tonal variations and the feel of this guitar. There is nothing I hate about it. I don't have a favorite feature, its all good. This is my favorite guitar at the moment.

This guitar is definitely gigable. I did 2 gigs with my band with the aforementioned Johnson Strat, and ended up playing an hour instead of a half. However, when I decided to play this guitar on the third gig, we seemed to be playing all night (from about 8 until when the pub shut at ll?), so this is definitely suitable for gigging. I would trust it as my primary guitar, but I would keep a spare in case of tuning issues, a string snapping etc. The hardware feels solid and like it would last an eternity, however when I got this guitar home I realised the knobs were loose. This was easily fixed. The strap buttons are solid enough, however if I was getting into it and playing heavier stuff whilst dancing around a bit, I would invest in some strap locks. The electronics have never failed me on this guitar and the finish is better than good enough to last, it is fabulous.

I don't know how well this guitar was set up from the factory, as I purchased it second hand. I can confirm, however, that when I received it, the action was brilliant. The pickups were also all at the correct height. There were no flaws to speak of, however, it does seem to quickly drift out of tune. I believe that is due to the cheap strings I purchased off eBay though (Fender 150Xls). In terms of the finish, mine is in the ebony (black) color. The finish is glossy and feels nice to touch, however you can see where finger prints, dust and hair has gathered against the black finish. This is not the manufactures fault, it looks lovely as long as you keep it clean. It is just the nature of this color.

I am unsure of what year this guitar was made as I purchased it as a spare guitar, unaware of its sheer brilliance, from Preloved at 25 (yes, you read it right, 25). The guitar features a 22 fret rosewood fretboard, a double cut-away style body, a tune-o-matic bridge, passive pickkups, a 3 way selector, two humbuckers, and volume and tone controls each pickup. Included in my 25 was also a guitar stand. Overall, the features are equivalent to what you would expect from a more expensive guitar.

partisanseed
    Just bought (2nd hand) this dark cherry red with gold hardware Vintage VS6 for 110 euros (with a good quality rockbag and a strap) in mint condition.And I think it was quite a bargain! The quality of the materials and finishing are top and the playability is very good.At beginning I was surprised by its light weight, what made me to check if the wood was really mahogany (wich is).The neck is thinner than my Les Paul, and super fast. The original Kluson style Wilkinson tuning machine heads were substitued by the previous owner, and it now have Gotoh style (also in gold). The pickups give you superior quality sound, from saturated/distortion to cleans.I definitely recommend this guitar, from novice to pros!
    blooddrunk
    Fantastic guitar for the price. Doesnt feel out of place amongst the other higher end guitars i own. Great build quality and the pickups are decent especially when you select them both. Also a great guitar for black metal. you can get a really cutting rhythm sound out of it and in addition it sounds great clean. I'd recommend this to beginners and pros alike. Let go of your snobbery and enjoy this little bargain!
    SteveVenture
    Vintage VS6 is a beast. Underrated UK brand, better than some of my Gibson or Epiphone SG i can assure you.Heavy, solid, great pickups, sounds good on any style. How it only costs 270 euros new? It´s beyond me. Love the feeling against my body.Played on a cheap amp makes it sound a valve $1000 amp. LOVE IT!
    viking1970
    I have 3 Gibson´s USA. This VS6 is not worse than any of mine expensive GB´s Great eletronics.Japanese serie from 2000´s were fabulous.
    Sunny035
    Whatever you do, don't drop it! I dropped it by accident a few hours ago, and it's gonna take a fair bit of fixing to get it right =(
    dfgdfpwewe
    Wonderful. share a website with you, -- mcaf.ee/q1i0h -- Believe you will love it
    deansnider
    just as Anna implied I am alarmed that any body able to make $4435 in one month on the internet. have you seen this web page Red97dotcom