SDC-22 Review

review (1) pictures (6) 2 comments vote for this gear:
SDC-22 Reviewed by: emgine, on april 10, 2015

Price paid: € 399

Purchased from: Guitar Dealer

Features: First of all, sorry for all the mistakes in my grammar, I am Dutch. This guitar features a mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fingerboard with 22 frets. It has a Max Connect bridge, Vox sealed tuners, 2x XLM two-voice mini humbucking pickups. 1x volume, 1x tone, 1x 3-way switch, 1x master mode (clean/lead). The neck is C shaped and the thickness is between a Les Paul and a Stratocaster. The tuners and the bridge work perfectly. Although, they do look a bit cheap. From all the entry-level guitars I've owned this one just looks the cheapest. The neck is really comfortable. I can easily slide my hand from the top to the bottom of the neck while playing. The switches work really well, but I think it is a bit too complicated. With these 2 switches you get a great variety of sounds, but it's just a bit to much for me. I prefer a Les Paul set-up. // 9

Sound: I play acoustic, rock and metal on a Marshall G80R CD amp. The sound is good, in the range what you might expect from an entry level guitar. For metal I wouldn't recommend it. The sound is just not heavy enough for that. I have owned some Epiphones which sounded better in that genre. For all other genres this is the guitar to have! Blues, jazz, rock etc, sound really good. The sound is warm and bright and can be turned really soft if preferred by using the switch. The sound is definitely better then the fender Squier I used before this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Let's start with the action. This is the reason I bought this guitar in the first place! The action is really low, almost touches the neck. It does resonate a bit on the neck, but that doesn't matter since I don't hear that back on my amp. The moment I started playing it I wanted this guitar. It feels very smooth, plays like butter and I can easily reach the highest frets.

The fit and finish are not that great. Sure, it looks decent, but it's not an eye-catcher to me. I got the yellow sunburst version. It's well painted but it just looks a bit cheap in some way. This is also the case with the strap holders, tuners and the bridge. They work really well, but just look cheap. It's like Vox is trying to hide it's quality. And then there is the chambered body in combination with the heavy headstock. You can guess the result. It's heading down when you wear the guitar. On the other hand, the weight is also really comfortable when you have to wear for like an hour at a concert. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Everything is solid about this guitar, it has been well put together, strap buttons are solid and I can always depend on it. This guitar will last quite a while. The buttons, switches, everything just feels and looks really solid. Unless you hit it with a hammer this will last. Flaws? The coat maybe. It my only guitar that has scratches on the back. But it has been my main guitar for two years, so maybe it's not that strange. The scratches didn't go through the coat though. I hit the wall or my desktop a few times with the headstock. But there are still no scratches to be found there. // 9

Overall Impression: I've owned the guitar for two years now. I can depend on this guitar. It still feels great, plays great, and those two things matter the most to me, that why I bought it. I never regretted buying it, but if it got lost I would not buy another one. It's a good guitar, worth buying, but not an amazing guitar. It's really good for practicing solo's but a bit cheap to use on stage. But yeah, that what you can expect for the price.

Things I wish this guitar had:

• better looks