A20V review by Washburn

Washburn: A20V

Price paid: C$ 800

Purchased from: Private Owner

I play mostly Classic Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz etc and I can get a great sound for all of those genres, it is fairly versatile. When the coils are split it produces a light hum, but that is normal. I enjoy having the coil tapping because I can get a Strat sound without a Strat. It has a nice rich sounding neck pick-up. The sustain is great.

This is a perfect guitar for the music I play, I love it! I have been playing for almost 6-years, and I have many other guitars, but this is easily my favourite. If it were lost or stolen, I would try to find another one, but I don't see too many around. I chose this guitar because I love the shape, and the features. Thanks for reading! Feel free to ask questions, Adam.

This guitar will definitely withstand live playing. The hardware is in great shape after 30 years so I'm assuming it will last for many years to come. You can absolutely depend on it for gigs without a back-up. I would probably still take a back-up because I am paranoid about breaking a string on stage or something not working.

The gentleman I bought the guitar from had it set-up great. The action was perfect (still is, as well as the pickups. The guitar is in great shape for being 30 years old. It has a few dings, but nothing extreme. There is also a few slightly rusted screws, nothing really bad.

I have an all original 1981 Washburn A20-V, I bought it a few months ago for $800 (not sure if it is a good price, but to me it's worth much more than that). It was made at the Matsumoku factory in Japan. - 22 frets - Ash body w/ 2 piece flamed maple top - Maple neck; v shaped, 3 piece - Shape is similar to the explorer, but kind of rounded - Strat-style tremolo w/ string-thu-body - 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way pick up selector, coil tap - 2 DiMarzio humbuckers - Washburn non-locking tuners - Brass washer shaped inlays - Brass nut - Original case included

oakn
    I had one of those once (re-fitted for a floyd rose), mine was in solid black with black/gold multi-ply binding (looked quite classy). As far as qulity goes, these old Washburns are top-notch. The inays on this guitar (also used on other Washburns of that era) looks so amazing, I don't know why but I really really like them. Damn I miss my old Washburn Falcon (rosewood top, with the same brass ring inlays)
    rv_phoenix
    I'm sure it sounds great and plays like butter, but it's way uglier than any Explorer I know... Getting a Strat sound by coil tapping the humbuckers seems to be a very interesting feature, especially when we know the humbuckers are DiMarzios. I bet it sounds like heaven through a Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp!
    ilfazon
    asmithgdci
    ilfazon wrote: Adam, I love mine too. Mine doesn't have a carved out back, and the neck shape is not the hard v shape you find on a lot of them. How about yours?
    Indeed, my Washburn includes both of those features.
    peewee101
    I have a 79 fitted with a Kahler. I paid $385 and consider it a great deal. The threw neck design with good ole mahogany makes it sound equal to my Lespaul. It has jumbo low frets and if you like a wide flat fret board you would love it. I love the look and the sound with a new Dimarzio SD.