D200E review by Washburn

Washburn: D200E

Price paid: € 490

With the stock EMG's I could get a good distortion sound on any amp that I played (as you could with any active pickups), also it has tons of sustain and a really full sound. I sold the EMG's because I like passive pickups more; in the neck I have a 59' Zebra Reverse from Seymour Duncan (great bluesy sound on clean and, if using a distortion, you can get that Pantera - Walk solo sound) and on the bridge I have a Lundgren M6 (Meshuggah uses M7 and M8 models) which is perfect for my syle of playing (Meshuggah, The Acacia Strain...) and for my tunning - drop A. I use a Randall RH150 DG3 head with a Randall G3 cab and this thing is a "jaw-dropper". The M6 get's me that Meshuggah like sound and the solos rip through anything! The guitar looks like it could rip your head off and it sounds like that too:). I used the same rig with the EMG's and it sounded great... Also I use a Vox Wah, a Behringer Pich Shifter and a Boss Chorus.

This is a metal guitar! You'll love the sound that you can get out of it with the stock EMG's and the feel of the neck while playing it. It looks awesome and it sounds awesome too. I highly recommend it if you have the time to get adjusted to it's "bugs" and minor glitches, but when you get pass that you'll find the D200E a great metal guitar that really is a keeper;).

plus: * great sound          minus: * the neck joing gets in the way
      * great looks                 * strap pin in the wrong place
      * reliability
      * deluxe gig bag
      * keeps in tune

Done at least 20 gigs with it and it withstand everything that was thrown at it; beer splashes, votka, low temperatures, sweat, bumps and dents ect. Had no problems with it what-so-ever... with the proper maintenance this guitar will last. I plan on getting a hardcase for it for touring ect.

The Buzz Feiten Tuning System and Grover tuners keep the guitar really in tune no matter what tunning or string gauges you're using and with that you get a great dose of sustain. The action is a bit high but you'll get used to it after a couple of days. The neck is great and you can shred away easily, the only problem is the neck joint; because this is a bolt-on neck guitar the neck joint gets in the way when you play on higher frets and it "bumps" your hand every time you try to bend the high e string on the 22 fret. This will take some ajustment and still make you frustrated when playing Live and trying to actually do something on the higher frets but still it will never let you down in terms of sound and riffing. The other big problem is the position of the strap pin... it's positioned above the neck and not behind like on Dean ML's or Washburn 333's. This is a bit of a factory f*** up beacuse when you play standing the neck tends to constantly "fall" down. If you're a rhytam player this is kind'a ok because you don't need to play leads ect., but if you're a lead player like me, this stuff will piss you off! Add to this the lightness of the guitar (remember, bending heavier string gauges tends to "lift" the guitar) playing leads live becomes a nightmare...sure you could put the guitar between your legs (like Dimebag did sometimes) but to be "restrained" in that way while playing Live kinda sucks... I solved the problem when I repositioned the strap pin to the back of the neck, no problems after that.

This is an ML shaped guitar (shape made famous by Dimebag) from Washburn, made only for the european market, but you can find them on ebay if you're not from Europe;). It has a solid body, maple neck (reminds me of a LTD EX-50 neck), rosewood fingerboard with 22 frets, a Buzz Feiten Tuning System, Grover 18:1 tuners, Tune-O-Matic bridge, and a string-through-body. It comes with EMG 81/85 active pickups, has a 3-way toggle switch and two volume and one tone controls. It's a bolt on neck, comes with a deluxe guitar bag (masive plus because cases for ML's are: a)expensive b)big c)heavy, so this makes it easy for taking the guitar to rehersals, gigs ect.), black paintjob and all black hardware. Because of it's solid body the guitar is really light and that becomes a problem when using heavier string gauges because when you bend higher notes/strings you can (at least in my case) lift the whole damn guitar (also a problem while standing). But still it comes as a plus because you don't have that "shoulder burn" when playing while standing after 2 hours. A metal guitar, No Doubt about that ;).

jannick
    morgy159 wrote: I recommend this guitar to anyone except it lacks a whammy bar. That's the only let down for it really. Other than that it is a great guitar.
    depends if you want whammy bars... i myself prefer none.
    rjc13
    morgy159
    Nick184
    rjc13 wrote: I noticed you said "..solid body, maple neck (reminds me of a LTD EX-50 neck), rosewood fingerboard.." Just curious, what wood is used for the body? Was curious based on your other review of the M6 bridge pup.
    It's a hardwood body. Hence the EMGS/grover tuners/great bridge on such a cheap guitar.
    A.J.4991
    SeanX3187
    well that is actually in Euros, not pounds. the exchange rate is always changing, but in American dollars, it would cost roughly $730
    Pingis_Or_Death
    A.J.4991 wrote: Could somebody please explain to me the American/British currancy difference? How much was this guitar in Dollars?
    Type in google "490 in $" and you'll get your answer. Anyways, seems like a nice guitar, but I doubt it beats my ML 79 for the price.