Dime 2ST Stealth Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 05/30/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: Dime 2ST Stealth
With its bolt-on neck, the Dime 2 STHM offers affordability in addition to its great looks and playability. This is a must-have guitar.
 7.3
 7.6
 6.9
 2,934
review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Dime 2ST Stealth Reviewed by: seanie!, on may 30, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Made in 2001 in Korea(I think). Features an alder body, thin you shaped maple neck, 22 jumbo frets. It's got a Washburn made liscenced Floyd Rose 2 tremelo, 2 humbuckers with 3-way toggle, 2 volume, and 1 tone speedknobs. Aslo has Grover 18:1 tuners. All black hardware and a black paintjob with silver bevels finishes this beast out. The original pickups were Washburn select high gain ones, but I bought this off eBay, and whoever had it before me installed Gibson Dirty Fingers re-issues, and put Dunlop Straplock buttons on. One odd thing about this guitar is the neck. It's a bolt-on, but is only held in place by 2 screws. The neck itself sits far inside the body. It extends into the neck pickup cavity and sits behind the neck pickup. Came with a Washburn form fitting hardshell case. I give it an 8 because of the lack of an OFR tremelo and the fact it's a bolt-on, and not set neck or neck through. // 8

Sound: Make no mistakes about it, this is a metal guitar. I'm not going to use it to play jazz or folk rock, for example. The lame thing about it when it arrived, was the neck pickup didn't work. It was soldered in wrong, so I replaced it with a Seymour Duncan '59 and the bridge with a Dimebucker. I know Dimebag used a Bill Lawrence L-500XL, but after using it I decided I liked the Dimebucker better. With the '59 I can get amazing cleans, and with the Dimebucker Ultra high gain leads. I play through a Crate Powerblock head(because it cost me $70) and a Crate GT412 cabinet. I usually play through a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster pedal, and sometimes my DigiTech Black 13. This guitar is great for any type of metal. I really don't know what to rate this since it didn't come with the stock pickups, but it sounds awesome now so I'll give it an 8. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Once again, for this I didn't get the guitar new so I don't know how it came set up from the factory. The first thing I did with it was move the strap button behind the neck, because all the Washburn Dime signatures are balanced wrong, becoming really neck heavy. Then I replaced the toggle Switch, sonce it was broken of at the threading. The paint lines for the bevels were real clean, there's no rough lines at all, and paint lines up perfectly with the bevels themselves. It's something you would assume should be a given, but I've seen more than enough high end guitars with worse paintjobs. The same thing can be said for the sides of the neck where they meet the fretboard. There were a few small paint chips missing from the ends of the bottom fins. One thing I've been told and I've also witnessed first hand is the paint it was finished with is really cheap. I've dinged the headstock twice since I've had it and there are small paint chips on it now. I've banged the headstocks/bodies of my other guitars harder and they've come away alright, but I have to be extremely careful with this guitar. On the plus side the LFR is one of the nicest LFR's I've played on. It holds up great with frequent dive bombing and stays in tune for extended periods of time. I'm going to give it a 6, because of the awesomely painted(but with really crappy paint) body, awkwardly neck heaviness that Washburn should've known was a problem, the crappy toggle Switch, and the better than average LFR. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Other than the affore mentioned toggle Switch, the hardware all seems pretty solid. I haven't had problems with any of the knobs or the input jack loosening up. It holds up to Live playing, as long as it doesn't get knocked into something. In fact, the cheap paint makes me play more carefully than I usually do with other guitars, which I guess isn't really such a bad thing. I would never play without a back up, especially because of the locking trem. I give it an 8 because of the broken, most likely low quality toggle Switch(because good ones usually don't just happen to crack in half), and the paranoia of chipping the paint with the slightest bump. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a pretty great metal guitar. I use it to play thrash mostly, but also just straight up metal, some heavier hard rock, and newer style metal, and it's perfect for those. It's not all that flexible, but that's why I called it a metal guitar. For more flexibility I'll play my Les Paul for things like hard rock and blues. I got it for an overall great deal ($440 with shipping), especially sice it's been discontinued. I would compare this to the Dean Razorbacks, or any mid level BC Rich, and I like to think this would come out ahead of them. If I had the chance I would buy it all over again. The only thing I wish it came with was an OFR, mostly so I could have the peace of mind of knowing it wouldn't possibly crap out on me in the future. I give it an 8 overall, taking into accont of what I paid for it, along with the features of it. // 8

Comments