Dime 333 DimeBolt Design review by Washburn

Washburn: Dime 333 DimeBolt Design

Purchased from: Park Ave Music in Aurora

The sound is monstrous, like the name implies (Washburn - "Monster Guitars!") They aint lying, brother! Even unplugged you get a little bit of "oomph" with all the twangy stuff - a product of the fifteen acres of old growth forest that had to be cut to provide the wood for one of these things. They are solid Mahogony, which makes them very friendly to high end attack, which is why the guitar is so fantastic for metal and punk and other aggressive styles. By virtue of its wonderful, ridiculous, comical size it also carries the bass extremely well and without distortion is the best replacement for an acoustic that I've ever heard. All that wood just sounds like heaven, baby! For a sample of what this thing can do, listen to "Planet Caravan" at the tail end of "Far Beyond Driven," and then listen to "Strength Beyond Strength." Enough said? Same guitar, two totally different and beautiful tones, and that just scratches the surface. There are other great guitars out there, certainly more expensive ones, but for about 700 bucks you can't beat this deal.

I have been playing guitar for eleven years, bass for five, drums for three and I've been trying to sing my whole life. I bought the guitar as an intermediate, but cocky, player only to find that I had quite a lot to learn about guitars. Now that I am an experienced guitarist and have a few shows and a few CDs under my belt I am very pleased that I bought this instrument. I bought it for somewhat foolish reasons because I thought it looked cool and so I could be like Dimebag Darrell or whatever and now I'm thinking it was one of the smartest purchases I have ever made, I love it. Still, I don't think I'd bring it to a jazz club just because it would probably scare the hell out of people. Either that or they'd think I was ridiculous only because, as I said, it looks like something straight out of 1983 played by a guy with really big hair and pants so tight you can almost see his...it would certainly sound good enough to play anywhere, though. I find the guitar useful most in the studio because, as I've pointed out, its appearance limits its live usage to metal - and even so, metal purists might be more critical of a new player using a signature model. In the studio, however, you can make this thing sound like any kind of guitar you want and you don't have to tell anyone what it looks like - just let them drool over the killer tone you've got and tell them to buy a CD!

This is a battle axe! I've thrown shelves at it, I've had the strap break and its crashed to the floor, I drove to a gig with the wammy bar forced upwards (tightening the strings) by the hard case and in all cases it still played OK despite my mistreatment of the instrument. It's survived a flood (I rescued it) and several run-ins with not-so-friendly club managers and to this day still looks and sounds like a brand new guitar. Part of this, of course, it because I know how to maintain it and adjust it, but it helps to have thirteen pounds of solid mahogony backing you up on stage!

The action is totally up to you, but you have to fit this beast. I was thoroughly impressed at the adjustability of the action and the ability the thing gives you to throw on different kinds of strings, experiment with alternate tunings, whatever you want. The trouble is, though, you need experience and know-how to use this thing. I always hand it to musicians in my studio because I know it will sound better than anything else, but often they hand it right back and say "I'm not playing that f**kin' thing!" Still, though, if you know what you're doing the world is your oyster with this one. Want a rockabilly surf tone? No problem! Want the strings to ride an inch and a half above the fretboard so you can play killer slide? No problem! It's all possible, but very very difficult. This axe requires tools, a good set of ears and lots and lots of patience. If you've got all of these you will be in love.

As a player of metal in the early 90's (yes, like the dinosaurs, there were one or two of us still struggling to survive in the harsh environment of 1992) I wanted nothing more than to listen to, and play, the most ball crunching, face smashing, universally offensive, rude, blasphemous music I could possibly find. Then one day I heard a Slayer album and, well... Once I'd decided that the crown had been placed upon the mighty banging heads of Slayer as to who were the kings of blasphemous, blistering metal, I began a new search. That search led me to the phenomenal playing and brutal onslaught that is Pantera. Being that I am a guitarist originally, I found Dimebag Darrell's playing to be absolutely top-notch and sought, eventually, to own his axe. The Dimebag Darrell signature series is a loud, crunchy, beefy axe reminiscent more of KISS and Judas Priest than Cannibal Corpse or Dimmu Borgir with a sizeable body in excess of ten pounds (I think), a thick ass neck, which is good for a guy with huge hands like mine, and possibly coolest of all a genuine Floyd-Rose tremolo system that you can drag to the depths of hell and then break wine glasses with a hundred times over and maybe have to tweak the fine tuning a smidge. Rarely have I broken a string, and as I said I can dive all the way to hell and back and then cut the distortion and be confident that the quiet parts will still be in tune. The stock model comes equipped with very nice Washburn pickups, but I replaced my bridge with a Seymore Duncan, just to be a little more Dime-like. Over the course of my college days I tried various substances, ideas, activities and found myself expanding mind and tastes alike. Even though I can appreciate a good grind better than ever these days, I've found the inner peace which only comes from good jazz or blues played really well. Now that I play all these different styles, like funk and jazz and blues, I've discovered that the axe I bought for tearing Mother Theresa new orafices can also be used quite effectively for just about everything. VERSATILITY, friends! Sure, I still look like I should be in a Sabotage cover band with the way the thing is shaped, but hell, it sounds better and plays more accurately than anything else I know of. One negative thing I will say about the axe is that it lacks a bit of the "light touch" you might find on a nice Ibanez. If you're not opposed to having to practice a bit to catch up to everyone else (with all those thin little Ibanez guitars, playing like Yngwie Malmsteen), then you'll find that, slowly, you'll start to develop into a player more like Dimebag Darrell - more accurate and articulate than just plain fast and when it does get fast you have to hit it HARD, which sounds better anyhow. Also I find if I get really adept on my Dime and I feel really confident on that, I can pick up an Ibanez and feel unstoppable, like Steve Vai. For that reason, this is not a beginner's guitar. If you are a pretty good player and want an edge to pass up all those spandex-wearing wankers who can play fifteen arpeggios a nanosecond, pick up a Dime and practice on that exclusively. You'll find that maybe you aren't any faster than them, but you'll be more accurate, your tone will be fuller and you'll sure as hell have the stronger set of fingers! It's like lifting weights.

Quinj
    HELLSHREDD wrote: If you ask me , if Dime aint playing this style of axe, anyone else just looks like a rookie trying to play it.
    you sir, are ignorant. Yes Dime made this guitar popular, but it doesnt mean others look like rookies playing it! Thats like saying, if your playing a Gibson Les Paul, your a rookie because Jimmy Page played one. Or if your playing a strat, you look like a rookie coz Hendrix played one... Anywho, i own me one of these babys, and they are sweeeeet as. and imo, better then the Dean versions.
    Intet
    Got mine about six years ago, after drooling at it through a guitarshop-window for years and years. As it was my first electric it wasnt the perfect buy because of the floyd, but That was just a fairly short starterproblem Once you learn to tune it, you've earned the experience. As the review says, its lovely in the studio, and I have no regrets on buying this at all. A number of shows and chaos later its a bit worn, but hey, its a dime!
    iamjinkazama
    this has to be the best review you'll ever find on UG. so well worded, so descriptive, every detail is there. congrats for the review, and the guitar.
    addman22 wrote: if you want to be a true dime fan you have to put a bill lawrence l500xl in the bridge and a bill lawrence l500 neck in the neck, thats how you get his sick ass tone, got them in my dean ml, an di love it, i could imagine it sounds amazing on this guitar as well
    you bet, a lot of guys like emg's in everything, it's gettin a bit boring. GIMME SOME L500XL, THAT'S HOW YOU ROCK!!!
    addman22
    Tanmanno5
    I -love- this guitar if it were a woman i would marry it i payed 500 for mine and id pay more it jsut sounds beautifull. pity they dont make em anymore.
    knutlex
    I saw one of these guitars for 570$ someone know if thats a good deal?
    knutlex
    maliceheart18 wrote: JD Close wrote: The devil used it in Tenacios D actually he used the Dean From Hell guitar
    actually he didn't use the Dean From Hell guitar. He used the Washburn Dime.
    Gacel
    Madderdei wrote: PPSevil doesn't really come to me every night cause he knows My opinion.
    im actually considering ebaying one of those
    Madderdei
    I totally agree with Your review...I love this guitar too...and It makes you play better...more focused...more powerfull...You know what I mean METAL HEAD and explain better in Your review(for those who can understand what is about)... 20 years(WHAT THE F**K I realize!!)passed by since my first guitar....and in my opinion this baby could be better only with EMG's(the classic 81/85)...the only way to be''the total guitar''for me. PS: Devil pray Me to borrow this every night and I say he can suck my D*CK!!....
    Majaxx
    I have owned this guitar for 13 years, i bought it in 1998 at 13 years old. for $1200 canadian. boy did i ever bug my parents for this. I laid the guitar to rest< and now i just look at it. It is very rare to find one. I do sometimes need to just play a few riffs just to hear this thing wail. Overall sick ass guitar, i will never get rid of mine,
    maliceheart18
    JD Close wrote: The devil used it in Tenacios D
    actually he used the Dean From Hell guitar
    Quinj
    FallenFlame332 wrote: I'm taking this guitar is pretty rare, seeing that I have looked alot of places and was unable to find it
    and yes, they are very ****ing rare, i belive that Washburn no longer makes them... but dont quote me on that.
    HELLSHREDD
    FallenFlame332
    happy strummer
    this review helped alot....im buying me a Washburn Dime now. ive been pondering it the past few days...found a cheap one a guy is selling. barely 3 months old, he wants 300 for it. thanks for the awesome review!
    85Dime333
    Hey I found One hehehe $400 bucks, missen a whammy bar an its all mine lol, but I need to find one can someone help me find one, an need a little restoration where the cord hooks up into it its a little crack but still sounds and play awsome,RIP DIME U Live Im All Of Us, Peace
    Draconey
    If this guitar as good as u say it is and only 700 bucks it will be my next guitar more likely
    Wolven
    *wipes tears from face* that review was effing beautiful, so well worded... anyway, freaking sick guitar
    [B]C [R]ich
    thats a pretty sweet guitar but i play the dime36 g16 its a pretty good guitar but i bought it mainly for the looks, its also signed by vinnie paul
    garden of grey
    thats my guitar in the pic, but i also added new pickups. kerry king signatures for me, couldnt be happier with this guitar
    Air_Stryker
    Kind of shocked that I picked mine up from my local music shop for 200. That's about $325 roughly? And I agree with absolutely everything in this review. It's easily the best guitar I own, and it is capable of pretty much ANYTHING. I basically bought it on a whim, it didn't have a price tag on it when it was up on the wall, so I curiously asked - expecting something like 500 to 700 for it - but when the guy said 200, I thought to myself; "this thing is a Dime signature Washburn. It's GOTTA be worth more than that, there ain't no way in hell I'm letting this one go". Best 200 pounds I have ever spent, and I plan to be keeping hold of it for a long, long time =D