Dime 333 DimeBolt Design Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 10/07/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: Dime 333 DimeBolt Design
Alder Body, 22 Frets, Maple Neck, Rosewood fingerboard, Standard (2.7mm) Fretwire, Chrome T-600S tremolo, 3-way toggle Switch, Black speed type control knob, Chrome Grover (A102-c) tuning machine.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 11,636
reviews (2) pictures (1) 31 comments vote for this gear:
Dime 333 DimeBolt Design Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 10, 2003

Purchased from: Park Ave Music in Aurora

Features: As a player of metal in the early 90's (yes, like the dinosaurs, there were one or two of us still struggling to survive in the harsh environment of 1992) I wanted nothing more than to listen to, and play, the most ball crunching, face smashing, universally offensive, rude, blasphemous music I could possibly find. Then one day I heard a Slayer album and, well... Once I'd decided that the crown had been placed upon the mighty banging heads of Slayer as to who were the kings of blasphemous, blistering metal, I began a new search. That search led me to the phenomenal playing and brutal onslaught that is Pantera. Being that I am a guitarist originally, I found Dimebag Darrell's playing to be absolutely top-notch and sought, eventually, to own his axe. The Dimebag Darrell signature series is a loud, crunchy, beefy axe reminiscent more of KISS and Judas Priest than Cannibal Corpse or Dimmu Borgir with a sizeable body in excess of ten pounds (I think), a thick ass neck, which is good for a guy with huge hands like mine, and possibly coolest of all a genuine Floyd-Rose tremolo system that you can drag to the depths of hell and then break wine glasses with a hundred times over and maybe have to tweak the fine tuning a smidge. Rarely have I broken a string, and as I said I can dive all the way to hell and back and then cut the distortion and be confident that the quiet parts will still be in tune. The stock model comes equipped with very nice Washburn pickups, but I replaced my bridge with a Seymore Duncan, just to be a little more Dime-like. Over the course of my college days I tried various substances, ideas, activities and found myself expanding mind and tastes alike. Even though I can appreciate a good grind better than ever these days, I've found the inner peace which only comes from good jazz or blues played really well. Now that I play all these different styles, like funk and jazz and blues, I've discovered that the axe I bought for tearing Mother Theresa new orafices can also be used quite effectively for just about everything. VERSATILITY, friends! Sure, I still look like I should be in a Sabotage cover band with the way the thing is shaped, but hell, it sounds better and plays more accurately than anything else I know of. One negative thing I will say about the axe is that it lacks a bit of the "light touch" you might find on a nice Ibanez. If you're not opposed to having to practice a bit to catch up to everyone else (with all those thin little Ibanez guitars, playing like Yngwie Malmsteen), then you'll find that, slowly, you'll start to develop into a player more like Dimebag Darrell - more accurate and articulate than just plain fast and when it does get fast you have to hit it HARD, which sounds better anyhow. Also I find if I get really adept on my Dime and I feel really confident on that, I can pick up an Ibanez and feel unstoppable, like Steve Vai. For that reason, this is not a beginner's guitar. If you are a pretty good player and want an edge to pass up all those spandex-wearing wankers who can play fifteen arpeggios a nanosecond, pick up a Dime and practice on that exclusively. You'll find that maybe you aren't any faster than them, but you'll be more accurate, your tone will be fuller and you'll sure as hell have the stronger set of fingers! It's like lifting weights. // 10

Sound: The sound is monstrous, like the name implies (Washburn - "Monster Guitars!") They aint lying, brother! Even unplugged you get a little bit of "oomph" with all the twangy stuff - a product of the fifteen acres of old growth forest that had to be cut to provide the wood for one of these things. They are solid Mahogony, which makes them very friendly to high end attack, which is why the guitar is so fantastic for metal and punk and other aggressive styles. By virtue of its wonderful, ridiculous, comical size it also carries the bass extremely well and without distortion is the best replacement for an acoustic that I've ever heard. All that wood just sounds like heaven, baby! For a sample of what this thing can do, listen to "Planet Caravan" at the tail end of "Far Beyond Driven," and then listen to "Strength Beyond Strength." Enough said? Same guitar, two totally different and beautiful tones, and that just scratches the surface. There are other great guitars out there, certainly more expensive ones, but for about 700 bucks you can't beat this deal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is totally up to you, but you have to fit this beast. I was thoroughly impressed at the adjustability of the action and the ability the thing gives you to throw on different kinds of strings, experiment with alternate tunings, whatever you want. The trouble is, though, you need experience and know-how to use this thing. I always hand it to musicians in my studio because I know it will sound better than anything else, but often they hand it right back and say "I'm not playing that f**kin' thing!" Still, though, if you know what you're doing the world is your oyster with this one. Want a rockabilly surf tone? No problem! Want the strings to ride an inch and a half above the fretboard so you can play killer slide? No problem! It's all possible, but very very difficult. This axe requires tools, a good set of ears and lots and lots of patience. If you've got all of these you will be in love. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a battle axe! I've thrown shelves at it, I've had the strap break and its crashed to the floor, I drove to a gig with the wammy bar forced upwards (tightening the strings) by the hard case and in all cases it still played OK despite my mistreatment of the instrument. It's survived a flood (I rescued it) and several run-ins with not-so-friendly club managers and to this day still looks and sounds like a brand new guitar. Part of this, of course, it because I know how to maintain it and adjust it, but it helps to have thirteen pounds of solid mahogony backing you up on stage! // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for eleven years, bass for five, drums for three and I've been trying to sing my whole life. I bought the guitar as an intermediate, but cocky, player only to find that I had quite a lot to learn about guitars. Now that I am an experienced guitarist and have a few shows and a few CDs under my belt I am very pleased that I bought this instrument. I bought it for somewhat foolish reasons because I thought it looked cool and so I could be like Dimebag Darrell or whatever and now I'm thinking it was one of the smartest purchases I have ever made, I love it. Still, I don't think I'd bring it to a jazz club just because it would probably scare the hell out of people. Either that or they'd think I was ridiculous only because, as I said, it looks like something straight out of 1983 played by a guy with really big hair and pants so tight you can almost see his...it would certainly sound good enough to play anywhere, though. I find the guitar useful most in the studio because, as I've pointed out, its appearance limits its live usage to metal - and even so, metal purists might be more critical of a new player using a signature model. In the studio, however, you can make this thing sound like any kind of guitar you want and you don't have to tell anyone what it looks like - just let them drool over the killer tone you've got and tell them to buy a CD! // 10

Dime 333 DimeBolt Design Reviewed by: Air_Stryker, on october 07, 2011

Purchased from: Local music shop

Features: This guitar was made in Korea with an alder body, maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. The neck is quite thick but is comfortable to play, and has twenty-two frets. It's body style is basically identical to the Dean ML although in comparison it seems a LOT heavier than any ML I've played, it's cut-away gives a very nice access to all of the frets, and despite it's weight and peculiar shape it's very comfortable to play. You just need a strong back. It has a locking trem made using Floyd Rose licensed parts and a locking nut. It has two humbucking pickups (One bridge, one neck), both stock Washburn pickups that came with the guitar, two volume controls and one tone, which works nice as one pickup can be zeroed and function as a kill-switch, but the volume controls aren't too great as anything between 3 and 10 will give you the same sound. The electronics are passive. It also came with it's own hard case, which is very solid but practically doubles the weight of the guitar. The features that are there can't be faulted apart from the volume controls, but nothing really stands out and it's made entirely from Washburn's own parts apart from the bridge. // 8

Sound: The sound of this guitar is where it really gets a chance to stand out. This guitar would appear to be made for all out metal and nothing else, but in this instance you definitely should NOT judge a book by it's cover. I play a variety of musical styles, admittedly it's mainly metal, but if I hear a song that I like it's genre won't stop me from learning it. I have learnt a fair few pop, classic rock, country / western songs as well. This guitar can play any of those brilliantly. I play through a Peavey Vypyr 15Peavey Vypyr 15, it's a great starter combo amp and with this guitar I can get pretty much any kind of sound from it I want, all the way from some soft blues, and jazz up to ludicrously full gain metal, I doesn't seem to have a weakness. Along with the Floyd Rose style bridge there's basically no noise you can do on any other guitar that this one can't imitate. There's very little noise, and what feedback there is I honestly don't know if to blame it on the guitar or the fact I have a 6 meter cable but never sit more than three feet from the amp. Overall the sound is perfect for what you'd expect the guitar to be able to manage, and also perfect for everything else, so for that I honestly think it deserves a ten. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no idea how well the guitar was set up at the factory, it was bought second hand from my local music shop (As far as I know Washburn no longer produce this guitar as I believe it's Dimebag Darrell's own design, and he handed his endorsement back to Dean before he was killed). To be brutally honest my local shop hadn't done a brilliant job in setting up or checking the guitar before it was sold. The action was quite poor and the twenty-second fret choked the twenty-first on the high-e string, I resorted to carefully filling the fret down myself. The pickups were perfectly in place, I haven't had to adjust them since I bought the guitar, and once I had lowered the bridge and sorted the fret out, it plays absolutely brilliantly. Seeing as I have no way to tell if the flaws were due to the previous owner or if the guitar came from the factory like this, it would be unfair to lower it's score too much. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand live playing? Yes. Definitely. It's very solid. To be honest I have been rather careless with it, being as it's such a large guitar I've hit walls, shelves and door frames moving this behemoth around the house. Each and every time I think "Oh f**k, I hope that hasn't left a mark" and it never has. Considering the guitars age (It can only have been made as late as 2004 before Dimebag returned his endorsement to Dean guitars) the hardware has definitely lasted. Everything on the guitar is original, the electronics, the pickups, the bridge are as they were when they came from the factory. There is almost no rust on any metallic parts, apart from the screws in the pickup housings, which is surprising, again considering it's age. I have never had any issues with this guitar's reliability and I would gladly gig without a backup and not a care in the world. The finish doesn't seem to have worn anywhere except a little bit on the back of the guitar where the plastic strap buckle bas been pressed against it. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar gives a brilliant overall impression, it can play any kind of music brilliantly, all though it would look weird playing anything other than metal live at a gig. I have only been playing for a little over two years now, this is my second guitar, my only other is an Ibanez RGD320, which I no longer use thanks to this Washburn. I love that it can manage any type of music and seems virtually indestructible, the only downside is it's insane weight. If it were stolen, I would find the person responsible and break them with the guitar, knowing full well that it would probably survive unscathed and he wouldn't. If I couldn't find them I would search as best I could to get a new one, but I'm not sure I'd find one as it's no longer in production. I couldn't settle for a Dean ML after playing this guitar, I've compared my Washburn with my friend's Dean and we have both agreed that mine is the better guitar by hundreds of thousands of miles. // 9

Comments