GIV review by Washburn

• Reviewer's score: 3.4 Poor
Washburn: GIV

Purchased from: A friend

The sound on this guitar is awful. There is only one pickup, so you don't get a variety of sounds, especially when you can't adjust the tone. The single pickup provides a very dull sound. I play pretty much every type of music, and I can't get the right sounds for anything with this. It is very noisy when I face my amp, no matter how far away I am. When I turn away, it's fine for noise, though.

This guitar is awful, no matter what you are playing. I own a Gibson Les Paul BFG, an Epiphone G-400, and various cheap guitars, and this is by far the worst of the bunch. If you ever come across this, and want to buy it due to the low price, do not. I can't really complain about it, as the person Who had it before me was nice enough to sell it to me for 15 CAD. The only feature I like about it is the tremolo, since none of my other guitars have one, but this is a terrible quality one. I wish it had a killswitch, as I want a guitar with a tremolo and a killswitch.

I doubt this guitar will last much longer. I almost played Live with it once, but at the last minute, my friend lent me his Fender Telecaster. I never depend on this, and only use it when my other guitars can't be used at the moment. It feels like it will fall apart at any second. The finish seems thick enough to last a very long time. But I think the bridge will need replacing soon.

I didn't get this guitar new, so the previous owner may have adjusted the action, but the action was perfect. It plays very fast, and bends are very easy. The pickup is set up fine, I think. The finish had a lot of dents in it, but I was fine with that. I've put in many dents myself, I think it looks kinda cool. The saddles on the cheap liscensed Floyd Rose are really loose, and won't tighten and stay in place, no matter what I do. The bridge on it is very poor quality.

I don't know much about this guitar, as I bought it second hand, and they haven't been made in quite a long time. This one was made in 1988 I believe. It has a Strat style body, with a thin 22-fret neck, and a pointy Jackson style headstock. There is one sing humbucker, which has it's own volume, with no tone knob. On it is a licensed Floyd Rose, and Grover tuners, which stay in tune very well.

Leedostar
    you were gunna gig with it and/or only use it when your LP and Epiphone are out of action.. the question is. how could you ever be in a situation where you were bout to go on stage and relise your TWO main weapons of chioce were out of action. as for the bad rap on the guitar- most people here are saying how crap it is based on how you treat it. if you had lied and said it was great they would all agree not knowing otherwise. seems like a good project (as others have said)
    GetThis
    hahahahahaha this is well joke
    awesomeusername : I've used a few washburn brand guitars before. The majority of them were quality instruments. I would say that perhaps if you put another pickup in the guitar it might be worth keeping. POSTED: 01/22/2008 - 08:30 am / quote |
    its probly gonna cost you more than this guitar is worth than to install a new pickup just sell it to a small child that doesn't know anything about guitars safee.
    dabstex
    i wish i was never saw that post, i own the same G-iv in black for my first and last guitar ever.. and i love her so much and she can sound amazing.. f*ck off!
    fsertojekantrib
    i don't even own the guitar and i can tell you one good thing about it, it's good to beat people to death with XD
    curry-kid
    I had a G-1V many years ago. I thought it was a good beginners guitar. It stayed in tune very well due to decent floyd rose bridge and locking nut. The action was nice and low but not buzzy. I have to admit that I did swap the pickup for a Seymour Duncan Full Shred. After this mod I was very pleased with the guitar. I paid 40 for the guitar and 40 for the Full Shred - sold guitar on for 100. I think the reviewer was unfair on the guitar. It is just a basic beginners guitar, so only having 1 pickup keeps the cost down. It sounds like the reviewer's guitar has had a hard life. Mine was in black which looked better imho.
    dale-banez
    I had a washburn G-5V, which is basically the same thing with an HSS setup and a wonderbar trem, and it was awesome. the washburn G series in the 80's was pretty much a budget line of guitars with cheap pickups, but they were excellent quality instruments, and I'm sure this guitar has been through many years of abuse. so get off your lazy ass and put some effort into fixing it up instead of bitching about how much it sucks, and you might actually bring it back to life
    Shockball V
    Well I'm glad he has that BFG and G-400, cause there's no way that could last for long time and it's worthless. By The way Angelofhatred about that BFG, I commend you for buying one.
    mister bass guy
    Godsm4ck wrote: soul_taker wrote: I would buy it for $15. Then smash it on video and put it on Youtube. exactly
    yup. i think thats what its made for. smashing for crowd appeal in gigs.
    Godsm4ck
    exactly
    Shread_6009
    why do people care about how there guitar looks instead of sound? still, ive tried it, horrible sound, DONT BUY
    blazerok
    TheFreeBird wrote: i think all guitars should cost this much.
    what a dumb ideaXD
    doctor woot
    Rock Boy wrote: It's great that somebody doesn't give every music gear a 10/10 score!
    Lolbronzewarlock
    grungee123
    I don't usually like to slag off musical inststruments of any kind, but from what you have written about this guitar and combined with the aesthetics of it I wouldn't pay 2 CAD for it. And I +2 soul_taker's comment.
    BlisteringDDj
    +1 hahahaha
    Death-Speak
    For $15 Canadian that looks like an awesome project guitar. I'm not sure what you were expecting for $15 CAD, but with a little elbow grease you could have something nice AND unique.
    awesomeusername
    Correction; I have realized that if you're in the market for cheap guitars you probably don't have the money to customize one. I'm sorry I've offered you useless advice.
    awesomeusername
    batiboy06
    Darkage wrote: NO offence but dude that thing is hell ugly and u wasted ur time writing this review for a piece of crap.
    a waste of money too.