GIV Review

1,453
review (1) 30 comments vote for this gear:
GIV Reviewed by: AngelOfHatred, on january 22, 2008

Purchased from: A friend

Features: I don't know much about this guitar, as I bought it second hand, and they haven't been made in quite a long time. This one was made in 1988 I believe. It has a Strat style body, with a thin 22-fret neck, and a pointy Jackson style headstock. There is one sing humbucker, which has it's own volume, with no tone knob. On it is a licensed Floyd Rose, and Grover tuners, which stay in tune very well. // 5

Sound: The sound on this guitar is awful. There is only one pickup, so you don't get a variety of sounds, especially when you can't adjust the tone. The single pickup provides a very dull sound. I play pretty much every type of music, and I can't get the right sounds for anything with this. It is very noisy when I face my amp, no matter how far away I am. When I turn away, it's fine for noise, though. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't get this guitar new, so the previous owner may have adjusted the action, but the action was perfect. It plays very fast, and bends are very easy. The pickup is set up fine, I think. The finish had a lot of dents in it, but I was fine with that. I've put in many dents myself, I think it looks kinda cool. The saddles on the cheap liscensed Floyd Rose are really loose, and won't tighten and stay in place, no matter what I do. The bridge on it is very poor quality. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I doubt this guitar will last much longer. I almost played Live with it once, but at the last minute, my friend lent me his Fender Telecaster. I never depend on this, and only use it when my other guitars can't be used at the moment. It feels like it will fall apart at any second. The finish seems thick enough to last a very long time. But I think the bridge will need replacing soon. // 4

Overall Impression: This guitar is awful, no matter what you are playing. I own a Gibson Les Paul BFG, an Epiphone G-400, and various cheap guitars, and this is by far the worst of the bunch. If you ever come across this, and want to buy it due to the low price, do not. I can't really complain about it, as the person Who had it before me was nice enough to sell it to me for 15 CAD. The only feature I like about it is the tremolo, since none of my other guitars have one, but this is a terrible quality one. I wish it had a killswitch, as I want a guitar with a tremolo and a killswitch. // 2

Comments