MG42 Signature Review

1,943
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
MG42 Signature Reviewed by: drh1589, on november 09, 2010

Purchased from: Canton Music Center

Features: This is a '93 Washburn MG-42. At one time, it was signed my Nuno Bettencourt, though the signature has since worn off. I've found one other example of this guitar, which a man from my area used to own, where Nuno signed and dated it beneath the bridge. Remnants of signatures, however can be seen on the top and bottom horns, above the bridge and below it. I don't know much about this guitar, other than it has a Licensed Floyd Rose, two humbuckers (Washburn?), 24 frets, 1 volume/1 tone, 3-way selector and a coil tap. Has Washburn Tuners, which I'm impressed with. // 10

Sound: I've played everything from Steve Vai to blues with this guitar, and it covers it all well. The pickups are incredibly dynamic and versatile, and fits anything I do well. I've yet to record in the studio with it, but so far, it fits with anything from blues tunes to a funk song, to shredding. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used, so I can't comment on factory setup (however, I've owned other Washburns new, and they always came with superb setup). I had the guitar set up and the pots cleaned when I got it, so it's fine. Everything about it is fine, aside from the fact that I end up re-tuning to floyd about once a day. That could be from the fact that the strings are close to new, but they've been worn in. Whether or not that continues, I'm not sure, but it's not a huge deal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've not played live with the guitar yet, but I'm sure it would put up with anything I throw at it. I plan to replace the strap buttons at some point, because I prefer strap locks on everything on it. There's a paint chip and a few dents and scratches, but nothing I've done. It seems to be very well made. // 10

Overall Impression: I've owned Fender, BC Rich, Samick, Washburn, Gibson...everything you can think of. The store I bought it from had no idea what they had, so I doubt they could have been of much help to me. If it were lost, I would *love* to find another one, but I simply can't find any. I'd probably replace it with an N4 or an N6. I love the floyd, I love having 24 frets. It'd be great with a single coil pickup in the middle position, but I just like having that for tonal variety. It keeps up with anything, even without that. All in all, great guitar! Between it, my Strat and my Washburn WI-64, it's going to become my main live guitar! // 10

Comments