MG44 review by Washburn

Washburn: MG44

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Private Sale

A play Djent/Metal, with jazz, country, rock, blues influences. As stock it Sounds great. A classic Alder/Maple combo. Pickups have good tone and are hotter than regular stock pickups. Very warm midrange, full bodied low, and clear articulate highs. Great guitar for everything. Obviously tailored for shred and metal in an 80's sort of vein! that's why I bought it. And I'm a Maple neck/board fanatic! Love those blondes! HA. As it is now with upgraded pickups, electronics, but stock hardware, it sounds even better and has the feel I prefer when plugged in, with a high gain amp.

A great guitar. If you can get your hands on one at a decent price, I would recommend. Suits all playing styles, being bolt on with a pickguard, makes any modifications or upgrades very easy! I have done similar modifications to a 1991 MIJ Ibanez RG550, 1991 MIJ Fender Super Fat Strat (Orig. Floyd Rose, HSS), 2008 ESP LTD MH400, 2005 ESP LTD Viper Baritone 400. For practice I play through a VHT Special 6 Ultra into 212 with Eminence Governors, and for Rehearsals a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier into a Peavey XXL Closed Back 412 loaded with Eminence speakers (450 watt handling).

Aside from above mentioned issues, this guitar does seem very fit and reliable. Still plays great. I bought it for a back up to my customized 1991 MIJ RG550. Up graded pickups to DiMarzio D-Sonic( Bridge), Virtual Solo (Middle), and PAF Joe (Neck) with custom mini switches, 4 pole DPDT 5 way switch. All other hardware is stock. Will fit with a Tremel-no as I don't plan on using the trem on this one. Just hard tail.

Unfortunately, when I received this instrument the bridge stud on the higher string side had been pushed towards the neck and broke out the holding wood going into the tremolo route! A big problem. Old owner screwed a thick piece of plexi glass to hold insert somewhat up right, but not perfectly. Don't know if this is common on these guitars. I filled and fixed this. Not perfect but works regardless. Does not effect intonation or ease of use. Looks a little funky. And, from years of use the neck finish was worn (no biggie, I like the look and feel of preworn maple necks) and all the hardware/pick ups/pickguard screws were rusted and oxidized.

I do not know the year or country in which this instrument was made. - Alder Body - Maple Neck/board 25.5" scale - 24 Extra Jumbo Frets - Off set dot inlays - Equivalent of a Fender Lake Placid Blue (Very nice, no dents/scratches!) - Super Strat Body Style - Licensed Floyd Bridge - Passive Electronics. Washburn (H-S-H) - Volume, Tone (push Pull Coil tap on bridge) 5 way switch - Washburn Tuners non locking - Allen wrench holder on back of headstock.

Jsteele1408
    hyper5 wrote: Oh look another one of these cheaper guitars getting 10's. Fun.
    Oh look, another person complaining about it. Fun. People rate features relative to the price paid. Get used to it. At least he didn't give it all 10s.
    hyper5
    Oh look another one of these cheaper guitars getting 10's. Fun.
    thebat
    I recently scored one of these and am very impressed, The neck is amazing really easy to play . This is the one Michael Angelo advertised ,It si built for shredding and quickly went into my top 5 guitars ,On par with my Jackson PC3 for the neck or even my charvel XL650
    v2a2n2g2
    I have the same thing, except with a Screamin Demon at the bridge and a Lil' SD in the middle. Asides from other minor issues which are easily fixable I absolutely love it.
    Shadowofravenwo
    My peg broke as well on the same guitar. MUst be a defect in the design. Same thing, blocked it a guitar plays well. Does your bridge shift slightly when you restring as the tension increases?