Oscar Schmidt OE30 review by Washburn

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Washburn: Oscar Schmidt OE30

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

This guitar sounds good for it's price. Great for me because I'm a beginner to electrics and don't know how to really get different sounds out it. Sounds good out of my Yamaha amp, sucks with distortion, definatley not made for distortion above 2 on the amp. I get a decent variety of sounds out of it. Great value at $150. Especially for a hollow body. One major drawback the strings it comes with suck, that should be the first thing you do, get new strings. I put Ernie Ball regular slinkys on there and they sound great. Requires alot of setting up, at least mine did. Sounds great acousticly too, could be alittle louder though. Good guitar, just be ready to set it up or pay someone to set it up, but you should be able to figure it out.

I don't really have a set style of music but this guitar seems it could handel most stuff pretty good. Ted Nuggent uses a Gibson just like this but I can't figure out how he gets that sound out of it. If this guitar were stolen I would not get another one. I wish I would have gotten a Silvertone Paul Stanley edition or either an Epiphone hollow body or an Ibanez hollow body.

This guitar will withstand live playing if you know what you are doing as far as amp effects go. Everything seems pretty sturdy. The finish will last unless you beat the hell out of it, but even then it would still look good. Strap buttons are solid, but I don't trust them as much as my Epiphone. I would probably bring a backup to a gig.

The only thing the factory set up was the Tune-O-Matic bridge, but then I had to readjust it for the new strings. Pickups are set up good as far as I can tell. The first one I bought was all beat up, but I think that was musicians friend's fault. They have great costumer service though and the second one was almost perfect except for one litte spot where the paint is worn.

This guitar didn't come with any extras, except the cable. It is an archtop semi-hollow body. Not sure what wood is used, but it's nice. Got mine in tabaccoo sunburst, looks awsome. 2 tone, 2 volume controles. 22 frets, not great access to the lowest ones. Stopbar tailpiece. Decent playability. Washburn pickups are decent. Grover tuners. Tune-O-Matic bridge works great. Made in China.

Macktruck
    In my reveiw i forgot to add that this guitar is great for playing Grateful Dead music, and other stuff that is similar.
    Delta-King-13
    I own a Delta King OE30....It is a great guitar, I will say one of the nicer ones I have owned, and well worth what I payed for it. Washburn being one of my choice companies, this guitar made me very happy. The only things I really must complain about, is the lower frets buzz with thicker strings, and the polepieces losen because of the vibrations. Other than that, it is a very satisfactory instrument..