Oscar Schmidt OE30 review by Washburn

Washburn: Oscar Schmidt OE30

Purchased from: garage sale

The sound from the guitar is good if you have a good EQ on your amp or dist pedal, but the sound is really lacking that certain fullness. The stock pickups give a somewhat thin sound and the pickup swtich is starting to go on me. When ever I flip it to use the neck pickup it goes silent unless I jiggle the Switch around. I'd really like to replace the pickups though. I'm starting to get some fret buzz on the 5th fret and on some of the lower ones too, but it's pretty bad on the 5th mainly on the A string. It can get noisy but it's a semi-hollow body so it's sort of expected. If you have the right rig the guitars sound can be very versatile. I've been able to sort of get a metal tone but nothing too heavy, a thinner kind of master of puppets sound, think of a bulimic master of puppets, because it doesnt't really have any bottom end coming out of the pickups it's quite thin. It's also good for just about anything else in my opinion blues, jazz, and some punk stuff. I'm running it though a MT-2 metal zone and my Peavey studio pro 40, and sometimes my dads old fuzz pedal he made, and my Alesis Midiverb2. I also sometimes play it through my crapy Crate amp because it seems to be the only guitar besides my cheapo Strat copy that sound good through it. It realy sounds better through an OD'd amp than a dist pedal.

I play just about everything I can learn, but at heart I'm a metal head so I'll bust out a metal riff on this thing, mainly Metallica or something older, because that's kinda just the feeling I get holding it that's the heaviest thing I can get it to play, and it doesn't do it too well. I'm impressed with the fact that a jazz box that's fairly inexpensive can come that close to a heavy metal sound though. It is a great guitar for the price I just wish the clean and distorted sounds were a bit richer and fuller.

It could withstand Live playing, but I'm sure a backup would be a good idea. The hardware seems like it could last a long time, and I'm not worried about it breaking on me. The strap buttons had to be screwed back in once, but after that no problems, and I don't think I'll ever need strap locks. The finish is incredible I once dropped it and fell on it and not even a scratch on it no cracks no nothing.

I don't know about the factory setup, but I do know the action is nice and low and it's fairly easy to play, but the neck is a tad thicker than what I'm used too. The pickups should be low away from the strings not too close and I've played around with them a lot since I got it and just put them back to their original places because that's where it sounds best. Also the bridge kinda cuts into my hand sometimes, but it could be worse I'm sure.

I bought it at a garage sale a few years ago. It seems like brand new, but it probably had some adjusting done to it I'm sure. 22 frets but not the best access to the lower ones. I'm not to sure on the woods, but it gives a decent tone plugged and unplugged. HH pickup config with 2 volume and 2 tone controls. Tuners are grovers and stay in tune perfect. I got a gig bag with it and some extra strings and pics.

Plaster Guitar
    OzarkMDaredevil
    Macktruck, how did you get your guitar to sound like Grateful Dead, specifics please, 'cause that would be awesome if I could do that to mine.
    alwaysdancing
    Plaster Guitar wrote: I own this guitar and really like it. the only problem is that i haven't been able to find a case that will fit it. I only have to tune this guitar about once every two weeks.
    Epiphone's Es-335 case will fit and, and Gator has a 335 case also, they're both like $85 though. I carry it in a TKL gig bag, it's tight, but it fits.
    oers_magyari
    Well... I had a couple of issues after I bought the instrument (wich hang on the wall of the local music store for more then a year...) the setup was awfull, a real pain in the ass... and I had to find some strings for it, cause the ones on it were solo strings, and you couldn`t play the damn` strings. I got some D`addario the jazz style strings, they made a world of difference. I use those style of strings, they work great, and enhance that jazz feeling. After the setup, and string change, I wouldn`t give this tiny mirracle of instrument away. I intend to keep it forever. And I intend to do an upgrade on the humbuckers. The stock ones are not so bad, but in some cases (depending on the combo, or amps... they sound lifeless... but im my bass amp Fender rumble, it sounds nice, when you play it at a right volume : p )