Oscar Schmidt OE30 review by Washburn

Washburn: Oscar Schmidt OE30

I play everything from Grunge to Country to Blues and this guitar has a GREAT SOUND (See Overall Impression below for why) I play this over a Fender Amp and also a Roland Cube 30 and it makes everything sound good. I have a Strat and a Gibson ES335 and I prefer this guitar because 1. It's less expensive so I'm not so worried to gig with it and 2. It sounds awesome (Very close to my Gibson read below for why)

I traded in a 1950 Epiphone Regent Triumph with original case on an even trade with the OE30 (some would call me dumb but the Epi was in need of some repair due to a drunk guy falling on it) I put in a new Switch and a new volume pot. Upgraded the pickups (GuitarFetish.com is a great place for pickups and nuts) with Gold Plated Humbuckers with Chrome plated Brass Trim. Changed the inlays from Dot to trapezoid (like the Gibson). Replaced the nut with a taller Bison Bone so I could lower the action. And went with Rotosound Nexus Polymer Coated Electric Strings NXE10 This guitar now is a great sounding guitar. Working on it was a pain in the ___. It sounded great when I got it and it sounds awesome now. Overall I put about $250 into this guitar and it was being sold for $250 (Though I would have haggled on the price) If you want to put a little effort you could have a guitar that sounds like a $1000+ guitar for around $500. Again the only issue will be playing near the body. Lucky for me I just don't go there...

This guitar is built like a TANK. I would have no problem gigging with this without a backup (and I have) but I always advise you have a backup on a paying gig in case some drunk guy falls on your guitar. With decent care this should look very good for years.

The OE30 is made correctly for the most part. The guitar is manufactured like a quality $500 guitar. The only issue is the nut, it is a little to low and will give you fret buzz if you don't raise the action or replace the nut (as I did)

The OE30 comes with decent humbucker pickups A very high quality high gloss finish Tune-O-Matic Bridge Grover Tuners (Worth $50 right there) Semi Hollow Body construction And over all is a great guitar for under $500 The issue is with the bolted on neck. This makes it harder to play the frets nearest the body. On the other hand if the neck was ever broken (this does happen) replacing is much easier as you just swap them out.