Oscar Schmidt OE40 review by Washburn

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Washburn: Oscar Schmidt OE40

Purchased from: www.jafguitar.com

My style is very eclectic, mostly '70s rock, bluegrass, jazz and country. I have an Ampeg V stack. I like to play it clean on the neck pickup with the tone an volume pots at about 7 for that fat warm sound. In the opposite config, I can also get that Stray Cat sound with a little overdrive and full tone and volume from the treble pickup. It is a little bit thin sounding, but that is the expected sound from this style of guitar.

I've been playing for over 20 years, in bands on the west coast, and in Germany. I chose this guitar to have that fat, Stray Cat, Nugent sound and so I didn't have to pay big bucks to enjoy it.

This is a solid guitar, it doesn't play like my ES, but it doesn't cost like it did either!

The OE40 came fully set up, low action and good intonation. I changed the strings, because the strings included were pretty cheap and turned my fingers black. Fret ends were smoothed, high gloss finish was flawless.

Purchased new from www.jafguitar.com, imported from China and distributed through their plant in Mundelien Ill. The guitar does not have the full 22 frets, but does have sweet tone and a fat body. A thicker, full-bodied jazz styled guitar. Has a maple top & body, twin Washburn HH pickups, with twin volume and tone controls, grover tuners, pearl fingerboard inlay, adjustable rosewood bridge, rosewood fingerboard, fully adjustable neck, high gloss finish and limited lifetime warranty.