Oscar Schmidt OE40 review by Washburn

Washburn: Oscar Schmidt OE40

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

This guitar is straight up jazz even with distortion Drive anything it sounds the same, this could be a positiv or negtive. Also there is a hum to the humbuckers you can fix it if you get a noisless humbuckers but I know me and most jazz guitarist like the hum also most hollow body do have a hum. People who know there history know this.

My overall impression of this OE40 is that its good for the prise I would also consider looking into Ibanez hollow bodies.

This guitar is prety tough. Don't put heavy strings on it will "destroy the frets." It dosen scratch or dent easily and is esy to sholder throu gigs. Stays in tune good. As soon as you get the guitar check over it multiple times I had to send mine back 3 times and the one I ended up with had a crack pick guard but thats nothing compared to some of the other stuff that was wrong with the previous ones.

When I got the guitar I set it up and it has great action.

jazz4on6
    I think the guitar sounds real good for the price. Maple wood is always great for that blues and jazz/fusion sound. for the price I would install new EMG's H1 A B/N for the neck pickup and the H4 "BALLS TO WALLS" at the bridge pickup. I sold a Jay Turser Wes Montgomery remake with these EMG's for $800. I paid $250 at a pawn shop and sold it for $800. I have a Gibson 335 blonde all maple body that for the investment is original and will stay that way. The OE40 allows you to create your own sound at a low investment. Someone will end up on the cover of Guitar with the OE40.
    Daveybo
    I think this guitar is very good value and mine will play with guitars two or three times as costly and beat hell outta them usually! It looks like some get bad ones and some get good ones.Quality control would be to blame for that.I am just glad i got a great one and especially for the price!
    pokeymata
    Odd about the neck falling off, this thing is so heavy and solid, it's hard to imagine. Though it's unamped sound is not much to listen to because it's so heavy, nothing delicate about the top, it's all pickups. But the ones that came with mine sound really nice. I got it cheap, secondhand under 150.00, and it's nice as a good everyday laying around guitar that can take punishment along with not worrying too much about taking it in and out of temperature. Again, not delicate on sound, but a solid piece of wood.
    metharian
    First guitar i owned and all i can say is that i hate it. Compared to my friends squire this is roadkill
    jay54321
    This is a great value for a jazz box but I understand why the rockers might not like it. Also, don't understand how the neck could have fallen off as mentioned in previous review. Seems like very solid constuction, and great jazz tone.