Oscar Schmidt OE40 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 02/18/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: Oscar Schmidt OE40
Washburn Eliminator Jazz Series pickups deliver warm, vintage tone enhanced by the maple top, back, and sides. Appointments include pearl inlays on the rosewood fingerboard and snazzy gold hardware. This baby delivers looks and tone all out of scale with its diminutive price.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.5
 5.4
 6.5
 8,305
reviews (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Oscar Schmidt OE40 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2005

Purchased from: www.jafguitar.com

Features: Purchased new from www.jafguitar.com, imported from China and distributed through their plant in Mundelien Ill. The guitar does not have the full 22 frets, but does have sweet tone and a fat body. A thicker, full-bodied jazz styled guitar. Has a maple top & body, twin Washburn HH pickups, with twin volume and tone controls, grover tuners, pearl fingerboard inlay, adjustable rosewood bridge, rosewood fingerboard, fully adjustable neck, high gloss finish and limited lifetime warranty. // 6

Sound: My style is very eclectic, mostly '70s rock, bluegrass, jazz and country. I have an Ampeg V stack. I like to play it clean on the neck pickup with the tone an volume pots at about 7 for that fat warm sound. In the opposite config, I can also get that Stray Cat sound with a little overdrive and full tone and volume from the treble pickup. It is a little bit thin sounding, but that is the expected sound from this style of guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The OE40 came fully set up, low action and good intonation. I changed the strings, because the strings included were pretty cheap and turned my fingers black. Fret ends were smoothed, high gloss finish was flawless. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a solid guitar, it doesn't play like my ES, but it doesn't cost like it did either! // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over 20 years, in bands on the west coast, and in Germany. I chose this guitar to have that fat, Stray Cat, Nugent sound and so I didn't have to pay big bucks to enjoy it. // 6

Oscar Schmidt OE40 Reviewed by: axe o power, on february 18, 2006

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Sound: This guitar is straight up jazz even with distortion Drive anything it sounds the same, this could be a positiv or negtive. Also there is a hum to the humbuckers you can fix it if you get a noisless humbuckers but I know me and most jazz guitarist like the hum also most hollow body do have a hum. People who know there history know this. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar I set it up and it has great action. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is prety tough. Don't put heavy strings on it will "destroy the frets." It dosen scratch or dent easily and is esy to sholder throu gigs. Stays in tune good. As soon as you get the guitar check over it multiple times I had to send mine back 3 times and the one I ended up with had a crack pick guard but thats nothing compared to some of the other stuff that was wrong with the previous ones. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this OE40 is that its good for the prise I would also consider looking into Ibanez hollow bodies. // 9

Oscar Schmidt OE40 Reviewed by: Mini_Jimmy_Page, on april 13, 2005

Sound: This is the worst guitar ever made sound wise it's choppy has a bad and weak sound horrable tone can't even play it with mass distortion it still sucks! I didn't care for it one bit. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The action hows this for you afeter a year of keeping it pearfect not one scratch or any thing the neck fell off. I was playing it and the neck felt lose, then next thing you know its hangin there by the strings. The action had to be reajusted countless times for every set of strings I got. The finish was the best thing it came in black didn't chip or any thing. // 2

Overall Impression: It is one of the worst guitars ever made I would play a Squire $99 guitar over this thing any day. I've moved on to a Schecter C-1 classic and I'm happy! // 2

Comments