OX review by Washburn

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
Washburn: OX

Price paid: C$ 230

Purchased from: Academy of Music

For the price you pay you get quite a great deal. This guitar sounds like a guitar 3 or 4 times the price with the right amp. I recommend anyone looking for a starter guitar for practicing at home. It is not quite gig worthy but I believe you will be quite impressed with the sound. It has bright, cheery tones and can get great distortion as well. I use a Peavey Valve King 212 Amplifier and it sounds great. Moreover, this guitar can play everything from blues to heavy metal to a certain extent. The volume control on the guitar doesn't affect the overall volume that much so I usally just play it on 10.

I play pretty much everything so this guitar is great cause it doesn't have any unique sound to any type of play. I have been playing seriously for about a year now and I don't play Live or anything, just practice alone or sometimes with my friends. If I was in a band I might probably want to upgrade to a better guitar but all in all what I use it for is great. If I lost it I would probably upgrade it cause I plan on doing bigger and better things with my music. But if I planned on staying doing what I do at this moment I would absolutely buy another one.

If you for some odd reason to use this guitar Live, it would be able to handle most of what you can dish out. I have banged, dinged, dropped, dented, smashed, spilled stuff on, slept on (and I'm heavy), bit, punched, and a whole lotta other stuff too and not a single noticable disfigurement without a magnifying glass. it's a stury guitar that I'd like to see someone be able to break in half in less than 3 swings (unless you can afford it, please don't try it). The hardware will probably last at least a few years at least.

I have not changed a thing except for the strings once since I got this guitar a year ago so the set up when I got it was good. The pick ups were good, and the strings were almost in tune, which isn't really that important but it was supprising. The only flaws I find in the finish is that the 20-24 fret are quite mashed together and hard to get your fingers in there to make a clear sound. Other than that the nut inside the input jack comes loose a lot and cause some odd sounds and weird noises. Finally, it is totally red, not the most exciting or vibrant thing in the world but quite acceptable. It leaves few finger prints and a low amount of scratches.

It has 24 frets, solid body, 1 volume and 1 tone control. Includes Washburn tuner and 5 watt amplifier, strap, whammy bar, cable and leather case. The 3 pick ups that came with it sound amazing even if I don't know what brand they are. No real speical features on this guitar.

bucket bot
    This is the most contradictory review I've seen in a long time. You praise it's features, yet give it a 5. And how does the volume knob not really affect the volume? All the praise, and an overall 6.2? Very confusing indeed.
    rhcp13
    well how good does it do when dive bombing? and no mention if it has floating tremelo or locking bridge.
    Tyler Durden
    metal_666_man
    Tyler Durden wrote: "It is not quite gig worthy" "If you for some odd reason to use this guitar Live, it would be able to handle most of what you can dish out" The comments/score really make no sense here - sorry but this is a bad review
    agreed!!!
    Jesstaa
    Wth... You've only been playing for like a year, and you have a valve amp, you've only changed the strings once in a year? o.0. And the last 4 frets will usually be very small. Also, you don't treat your guitar very well..
    bombsquadjunky
    Jesstaa wrote: Wth... You've only been playing for like a year, and you have a valve amp, you've only changed the strings once in a year? o.0. And the last 4 frets will usually be very small. I agree with that. You should probably change your strings at least once every two or three months. Also, a valve amp? Seriously? And I have a two octave guitar, and the last two or three frets ARE tiny. They will be no matter what. And he bit his guitar? and hit it? I don't really understand why anybody would treat a guitar that bad...unless maybe it was like a newly made Silvertone or something. Those are crap. Also, you don't treat your guitar very well..
    bombsquadjunky
    Prince of Rinse wrote: bombsquadjunky wrote: He said "bit" which is what confuses me. Who does that? Hungry people?
    Maybe, but I would think a nice turkey sandwich would suffice.
    bombsquadjunky
    koalabacon wrote: this review retarded me
    Haha, I think all of us who read through it actually lost a few brain cells from it.
    koalabacon
    the picture is wrong. no 200$ guitar would have a floyd rose. or a finish of that quality