OX review by Washburn

Washburn: OX

Price paid: C$ 115

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

When I am playing punk (my primary style) It sounds fine. I play on a homemade amp, so its hard to compare to another amp. My other amp is a crappy Crate GX15, which i wont bother you with. It has a single fret (19th) that is out and unplayable, but the rest are fine with no buzz. I find that the Low E and A strings are picked up far more then the others, which over powers the sound in general. I can't seem to get it to play anything with a clear tone, it all comes out slightly fuzzy. The sound it produces when I kick in the Distortion (Boss DS-1) Sounds fantastic. Its exactly what I look for in my tone on stage. When I try and play something slower and more blues-like, it will provide an ok sound, not quite what I would use this for however. For the $115 I paid for this guitar, I would say it sounds Fantastic for the price. I also have a Squire Strat, and the OX10 plays circles around it.

For a punk musician, the OX10 is great. Can't say much for most other styles of play. I have been playing for 12 years on and off. I had started playing with this live but have had to resign it to studio play until I re-wire the output plug. If I lost it, I would be sad, but would have valued the experience of having gotten to played on it. If I came across another one for cheap, would pick it up, but wouldn't hunt one down. I love the sound of the pickups, and the speed and play of the neck. The sharp finish of the body has turned alot of heads. And the sound and feel of it have made it my studio pick of my cheap guitars, but doesn't hold up to the high quality guitars. Wish I had a whammy bar to test it out.

I would not use this on stage again. The problem with the output is too much of a hassle to do after every other song. Unless you have multiple guitars and a sound tech who is kind. Would be fine for a practice guitar. The hardware otherwise seems like it would last. Strap Buttons are solid and have not had an issue. The thing weighs a ton. The body is much thicker then most guitars I have used before, and provides to be a pain with extended stage performance. The finish has held up quite well, even without a pick guard. I use a variety of different picks, but my first choice is a metal pick that has torn up pick guards like mad before, but the finish is holding up even to it.

I don't know If I am qualified enough to properly address this section. So I'll try my best. Mine is not direct from the factory, so how they send them off I can not comment on. Mine, the neck is in fine form without needing any adjustment. I have had to completely re-adjust my bridge, as my strings were all at the wrong height to my pick-ups. The Electronics are all in fine working order with no complaints. Only problem I really have with it is the exact placement and quality of the output. It will become very loose even after only 20 mins of jamming, and need to be tightened again. And I have to disconnect my patch cable when I put it on my stand. I can find no flaws in the wood, the neck is quite nice and is not painted so it has good speed.

This is for the Oscar Schmidt (Washburn's entry level guitars) OX10 Electric. Features include 24 fret rosewood fingerboard on a maple neck. Solid body in a SSH (unknown brand) set up. One volume and one tone knob. 5-way selector. Strat body design without a pickguard. Has a fulcrum tremelo in it, but I don't have the bar for it, so I will make no comments on its quality. Die cast tuners, non-locking. Nothing really special about it. I love the wood grain of the body in the red. Is stunning and I get a lot of comments on it, haven't seen anything quite similar to it in any of the shops before.