PS1800CM review by Washburn

Washburn: PS1800CM

Purchased from: Private Seller

I didn't even know Randall made pickups... but these pickups are amazing. Nice and fat, with plenty of midrange. I run this through a Behringer GMX 212. The Bridge pickup can handle anything from the Beatles, to KISS, to Metallica, And even Avenged Sevenfold and Marilyn Manson. Clean is perfectly crisp, while distortion is very responsive and has alotta bite. I don't use the Neck pickup all too often, but it's very smooth, and sounds best suited for Jazz. This is definitely washburns version of the Les Paul standard.

I play heavy metal. This guitar is to metal what green is to grass. I love this guitar, and maybe eventually, I'll find a place that can lift those few mirror pieces up and clean that sweat residue out. I'd never put this guitar in a position to be stolen, and if it was, I would be awfully sad because I'd never be able to afford a brand new one. I simply love this guitar. I was originally going to buy an explorer, but this just caught my attention and was too good to be true. Thanks Paul and Washburn for the awesome design.

This guitar is built like a tank. It has genuine grover tuners, that stay locked in place. I rarely have to tune this guitar before I start playing. I am extremely happy with the tuners. I will also note, though, that the Cracked Mirror top is susceptible to getting sweat between the cracks. The owner prior to me didn't clean his instrument after live performances, and a grey sweat residue got between some of the cracks, hence the 450 dollar price tag. It honestly doesn't bother me, but be warned to KEEP IT CLEAN. Fixing it is way too risky. Lao, one of my inlays is starting to peel up. An easy fix, but still... It shouldn't be coming up. All and all, this is the end-all guitar. You won't need to bring another guitar up there with you. It has the flash and sound you need, and all the muscle to go with it.

The action was a little high when I got it. I'm pretty sure that the previous owner set it up this way. The pickups were at my preferred level already, and everything is as it should be. It has an awesome cracked mirror finish. Apparently though, cracked mirrors have issues with sweat getting between the cracks of the mirror pieces and leaves a grey residue underneath the pieces. Thats why I got this 1200 dollar guitar for less than half. I knew I was buying it like that, and it doesn't bother me. The strap buttons are perfect, this thing has awesome balance.

From the Washburn website: Mahogany body Cracked mirror top Tune-o-matic Bridge Paul Stanley Tailpiece Randal UL neck pickup Randall Ultra XL Bridge pickup 3-way toggle switch 2 volume, 1 tone control Mahogany set neck Rosewood fingerboard with MOP/abalone split block inlays 22 jumbo frets Buzz Feiten Tuning System Came with an awesome Custom fitted padded gig bag.

Jackie Lawless
    ive tested these out brand new. i knew exactly what i was buying before i bought it. the sweat residue is only there because of the guy who owned it prior. h didnt clean it after playing live and just let it rub in over 2 years. inlay peeling isbecause it was shipped to me in -10 degree weather. put any instrument through that, and tell me if it comes out unscathed. i admit i sortof rushed the review, but its w/e. for what it is, the guitar is perfect. it has so much depth and balls. ive played this through many differnt amps, the thing is definitely up to par with other guitars in its price range. i stick by my numbers.
    rickyj
    Guppygod0018
    vmntshredder
    callumbloodpuke
    KG6_Steven
    Unfortunately, even if you can find someone to remove the mirror pieces, you won't be able to remove the gray. The sweat has actually damaged the reflective coating on the glass. The same thing will happen with your bathroom or car mirrors, if Windex is allowed to seep along the edge. The only way to fix this is by replacing the damaged section.
    Mazz-
    shecter guy
    Mazz- wrote: callumbloodpuke wrote: rock_guitarhero wrote: Ibanez Iceman. Thats all i'm sayin. it's nothing like an iceman take that sh!t a step further & go Ibanez Sam Totman (DragonForce) Signature model Iceman, them u got the floyd rose, & more likely then not the EMG 81/85 combination...that's what I'M saying...not that it matters much to me, I'm 25 years-old (playing guitar since I age 2), & I'm a 3rd Generation Guitar player Legacy...I was born into it, so I only use Gibson, Fender & Guitars with Tube Amplifiers... Well, cuz that's the only thing my dad has ever supported me spending my money on...& I MEAN ONLY THING!!!
    dude, you know how stupid that sounds saying you only ply Gibson and Fenders with tube amps? sounds like your dad is a bit of an elitist. ive played a lot of guitars that (imo) destroy Gibson and Fenders. Ibanez. ESP in particular, and no, not just for metal. i dont want to start anything but you sound like you're on a bit of a high horse. also, if i remember correctly the Sam Totman signature i saw came with Dimarzio Evolutions. Just saying
    frehleyjr
    Cam'sGuitarSolo : Reviewer opinion: Overall 9,8. UG Community opinion: Overall 5,7. (So Far) Just like most of the other reviews, i don't get it why people don't even try to find a few flaws in what they buy. It could die tomorrow already, you never know what will happen until it does. 10's don't exist, nothing is perfect, especially when it is about personal tastes, One person find's it Perfect for his/her style, others not. so find a few flaws and lackings about it to help us give a better idea about the Guitar.
    last time i checked 10 was for great not perfect
    Jackie Lawless
    vmntshredder wrote: Is it just me, or does it feel as though the avenged sevenfold guitarist copied the mirror idea? - I like the body style of the washburn more though.
    yeah, he did. Paul Stanley had the first cracked mirror guitar made back in 78. Recently, though, it's kinda caught on. I like ZV's guitar, but its no Paul Stanley signature.
    Jackie Lawless
    Guppygod0018 wrote: So you list the bad points in the reliability as inlays coming up and being nigh on impossible to clean (I'm paraphrasing) but give it a 9? Such logic. As mentioned, it seems like an ok guitar, but stop putting such high ratings on it when you even list it's considerable flaws.
    im pretty sure i mentioned that this guitar was considerably used when i bought it. the flaws are a result of human error, not the guitars. This is honestly the only instance of this is i'v ever seen/read of where waters gotton between cracks. clean the thing once in a while, and it wont happen. dont play a 2 hour set, then throw it in your gigbag and expect nothing to happen to it. /facepalm/
    Jackie Lawless
    callumbloodpuke wrote: Plan009 wrote: callumbloodpuke wrote: rock_guitarhero wrote: Ibanez Iceman. Thats all i'm sayin. it's nothing like an iceman It looks more like an Iceman than a Les Paul. I know Washburn makes decent guitars, but tthis one doesn't wow me. You're using Washburn stock p-ups through a Behringer GMX. I've tried that amp out in stores for sh*ts and giggles, and felt like I had to apologize to the Gibson I tested it with after. wait what? why are you telling me im using this guitar? i dont have this guitar and i didnt write the review on it. also of course it looks more like an iceman than a les pauls. still doesnt look like one http://www.electricguitarsuk.com/wp-cont... 0/08/ibanez-ict700-iceman-electric-guitar-black.jpg http:// www.guitarplayer.com/uploadedImages/guitarplayer/Stories/0PS 1800CM.jpg
    its called a metaphor..... maybe i should use a simile instead.... This is to Washburn, what Les Paul is to Gibson.... much better?
    Attercop
    Jackie Lawless wrote: inlay peeling isbecause it was shipped to me in -10 degree weather. put any instrument through that, and tell me if it comes out unscathed.
    I live in Canada. We get -40 here regularly for months at a time (-40 is the same in Fahrenheit and Celsius). None of my guitars have inlays peeling off.
    callumbloodpuke
    Jackie Lawless
    callumbloodpuke wrote: so i said it doesnt look like an iceman and now people are bringing in random guitars and stating that they've been playing years are whatever and saying what this guitar is to washburn etc. aswell as telling me what equipment i use, which they seem to have made up. i was talking about the shape of the guitar - nothing else[/quote] it can go both ways... if you compare an Iceman to the ps1800, you can definitely spot the similarities.
    Jackie Lawless
    rickyj wrote: inlays don't just peel off. they aren't stickers, they're ****ing glued into the damn fretboard.
    so.... its unable to peel away from the glue? interesting.
    Jackie Lawless
    its actually insanely similar to the Iceman. The only difference is the top goes into a cutaway and the tails more angled, with the bottom 'horn' pointing outward instead of in. its the same basic design.
    ninjagayden777
    Look wise this guitar is beautiful. Tip for reviewer, sparkling reviews (all 9's and 10's) don't fly, especially when you find flaws man. :/
    michael.cooke.9
    I own this guitar. First I agree with Phat , the pups really suck , and they are noisy. Also the Grover tuners are cheap. After installing EMG 81,85 and locking tuners I have to say this guitar is now very bad ass. Had to adjust the action and intonation also the truss rod. However it now is one of my favorites. I currently own 42 guitars ,Pauls,Strats,PRS ,etc.... I will say that unlike BC rich Mockingbirds , and Iceman , it is well balanced.
    Cam'sGuitarSolo
    feathers632
    "Came with an awesome Custom fitted padded gig bag. // 10" - The gig bag was perfect (10), the guitar is maybe 5 or 6.
    matt154
    Haha you actually reviewed this right after your problems with it. The finish section should not be 10/10 then. On the other hand it's still sexy as hell.
    MT in Austin
    Thank for the review. The scale says 10 is "great" not "prefect". If a users thinks the feature is great, they should say so. There are plenty of great instruments that are far from perfect. If you don't like it, try the guitar out and rate it yourself.
    Plan009
    EpiExplorer
    Its one half/side of an explorer and a fire/thunderbird. Kind of works, although not quite my sort of thing.
    [Azrael]
    The finish can stain because you sweat and your inlays are peeling off, yet it gets a 9? Wow.
    Gui_Lux
    I like the shape, but sweat getting in cracks just doesn't seem right. Awesome review man, made me want to buy a behringer asap
    Ibeanez
    Just to be obvious...Paul Stanley was well known to play an Iceman, and this Washburn is his signature guitar, hence the similarity in basic shape. Secondly, he did not say anything about a stained finish. He basically said there are more cracks to get crud caught in. Lastly, well, if it peels off it's not an inlay