PS80 review by Washburn

Washburn: PS80

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

This is sadly not my PS80's strong suit. I generally play either metal/rock or classical music, however I usually leave that latter to my other guitars. I have tried it through multiple amps with different affects, it sounds GREAT for heavier, quicker music, especially when the distortion is somewhat high with a little bit of reverb. The biggest problem is that if you pluck/pick a string to hard you get a very strong buzzing sound, which I'm sure I could fix with a little adjustment to the action. For the metal genre, and for "shredding" it can be a very worthwhile guitar.

When I play alot of heavier music this a guitar that can get it done. I have owned this guitar far a long time and I may have better things to say about it, if it weren't for me treating it so harshly. When it comes down to the looks it can be a kind of love/hate thing. If I play it around somebody who doesn't know very much about guitars they are sure to think it's a real badass looking guitar, but to many such as myself, I'm sure they'll find it tries to hard. It is a solid guitar and great for any begginer, or hobbiest looking to dip into metal. Especially if you can find it for the price I did.

What can I say about it's surviveability? This guitar could probably survive getting hit by a bus, during a hurricane, and in a volcano. She is very very durable. You could almost definitely use her to play live unless you try to break it. This guitar is made to last.

When I bought my PS80 iit was in great working condition. I had to tune it and after that it was very playable and very nice sounding. However, after the years of abuse she's taken there are many things I would like to fix. I should mention for stage guitarists that it happens to have weak knobs to hold the strap on.

My PS80 came with some good features considering its low price. It has a mahogony neck with a rosewood fingertboard and 22 frets. It has a volume nob, a tuner nob, and a 3-way toggle Switch to control its 2 humbucker pickups. It's topped off with a black glossy finish on a very unique body shape.