PS80 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 04/07/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: PS80
It is a great guitar with Black Gloss Finish, Three way Toggle Switch, two Humbuckers, Mahogany neck Rosewood fingerboard 22 frets.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 1,240
reviews (2) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
PS80 Reviewed by: Josh_brewer, on may 13, 2009

Purchased from: Tiger Pawn

Features: Not sure of the Year, Bought it used, it is a great guitar with Black Gloss Finish, Three way Toggle Switch, two Humbuckers, Mahogany neck Rosewood fingerboard 22 frets, though I suggest upgrading the Standard Strap buttons, for Strap locks to avoid damage. // 8

Sound: This guitar is mainly used for Metal, Shred, and Rock n' roll, the HB are very warm, I play a lot of music styles and this guitar fits most of my needs, and the thing is quiet if you don't touch the strings, you'd think the guitar is off, not one bit of buzz, even when the amp is cranked up. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Only Flaw I found was that I had to adjust the Intonation and lower the Strings, but Im picky at my guitars. As far as pickups i had to adjust mine a little, the bridge seems pretty good though a tremolo option would be cool. couldn't find barely any flaws! // 7

Reliability & Durability: This Guitar is great looking and playing, so I would probably use it Live, the hardware will last a while as long as you don't throw this guitar around, the strap buttons are nothing special so I updated to strap locks and never looked back. Though I never gig without a backup this guitar probably won't let you down. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is the Affordable Les Paul of the Heavy Metal world, and is great for getting a very heavy sound. I have been playingfor about 2 years, and own a Peavey Rage 158, a Zoom G1, and of course the Washburn Ps80, if it were stolen i go out and hunt that motherf--ker down, that guitar holds settementle value! Also wish I had a better amp, and Efx set up. Looking at the Jcm-800 but can't afford it! // 10

PS80 Reviewed by: Naturalchampion, on april 07, 2011

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: My PS80 came with some good features considering its low price. It has a mahogony neck with a rosewood fingertboard and 22 frets. It has a volume nob, a tuner nob, and a 3-way toggle Switch to control its 2 humbucker pickups. It's topped off with a black glossy finish on a very unique body shape. // 7

Sound: This is sadly not my PS80's strong suit. I generally play either metal/rock or classical music, however I usually leave that latter to my other guitars. I have tried it through multiple amps with different affects, it sounds GREAT for heavier, quicker music, especially when the distortion is somewhat high with a little bit of reverb. The biggest problem is that if you pluck/pick a string to hard you get a very strong buzzing sound, which I'm sure I could fix with a little adjustment to the action. For the metal genre, and for "shredding" it can be a very worthwhile guitar. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought my PS80 iit was in great working condition. I had to tune it and after that it was very playable and very nice sounding. However, after the years of abuse she's taken there are many things I would like to fix. I should mention for stage guitarists that it happens to have weak knobs to hold the strap on. // 8

Reliability & Durability: What can I say about it's surviveability? This guitar could probably survive getting hit by a bus, during a hurricane, and in a volcano. She is very very durable. You could almost definitely use her to play live unless you try to break it. This guitar is made to last. // 9

Overall Impression: When I play alot of heavier music this a guitar that can get it done. I have owned this guitar far a long time and I may have better things to say about it, if it weren't for me treating it so harshly. When it comes down to the looks it can be a kind of love/hate thing. If I play it around somebody who doesn't know very much about guitars they are sure to think it's a real badass looking guitar, but to many such as myself, I'm sure they'll find it tries to hard. It is a solid guitar and great for any begginer, or hobbiest looking to dip into metal. Especially if you can find it for the price I did. // 7

Comments