RX10 review by Washburn

Washburn: RX10

Purchased from: Aert Mania Center

Made in China, Year 2013.
- Frets 24, Scale 25.5, Bolt-on Maple Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard
- Basswood Body
- High Gloss Metallic red (nice finish)
- Body Style RX Series (Double cutaway Strat)
- Fulcrum traditional tremolo bridge
- Passive electronics.
- 1 Volume /1 Tone / 3-way Selector
- Single coil neck & middle (reverse wound) pickups - Humbucker bridge pickup (all are washburn basic stock pickups)
- Chrome die-cast tuners
- Included (Washburn 15 Watt Amplifier, Tuner, Instrument Cable, Nylon Guitar Strap, Gigbag, 3 Picks, Instructional DVD).

I started playing guitar like 18 years ago but I stopped plying for like 13 years for I didn't have enough time, but I have recently decided to get me a guitar to use at home just for fun, so I looked at the available options which are very limited in Egypt I wanted a budget guitar and this was the best I came across. I'm no longer the advanced player I was but I'm no novice as well.

I play several music styles classic rock, psychedelic rock, progressive rock, grunge and some blues (from Neil Young, Pink Floyd to Pearl Jam) the sound of this guitar is not the best actually when used with the included amp:

Clean sound: Bridge humbucker and middle pickup deliver some rich tone and the neck pickup delivers a very Bright tone but all of the tones lack warmness and depth.

High Gain tone: Bridge humbucker and middle pickup are noisy (may due to the amp) but they deliver a good sound for grunge & punk.
Surprisingly Neck Pickup has no noise at all no matter what volume I play at, which is good for soloing. I use it as well with a basic multi-effects processor (DigiTech RP55). For both clean and high gain sounds I managed to get some real sweet tones, and with its noise gate I got rid of all the noise.

The guitar came with real high action out of the box so I lowered the action at the saddles but then I got fret buzz at frets 7th to 10th and some higher frets, for the middle frets it was obvious it needs to add some relief to the neck so I loosened the truss rod (quarter turn) I got rid of all the buzz at the middle frets, but there was still some buzz on the high strings on the 22nd fret, and I found out that the 23rd fret is higher than both 22nd and 24th string, obviously this fret needs to be leveled, I didn't have the time nor tools to do it so I raised the strings again at the saddles to a medium action tell I have the time to level this fret.  Other than that the rest of the parts (bridge, controls, nut, saddles... etc are of a very reasonable quality for the price).

I mainly use this guitar at home, but I think it can withstand live playing, and the hardware seem like it will last, and Are the strap buttons seems solid to me, the included strap itself is not of a good quality, and the finish seems OK to me. It stays in tune for a reasonable time unless I use the tremolo, so I think it can be used on a gig without a backup unless you want to use the tremolo. I had the guitar for few months ago and I use it like 1 to 2 hours a day and it didn't wear off so far but I really can't tell how long will take till it starts wearing off.

Overall this guitar can deliver some real sweet tones if used with a decent multi-effects processor. In the past as kid I played some heavy stuff I had a Westone Dynasty, and latter I had an Epi LP Standard, compared to the those every one has it's pros and cons. If it was stolen/lost, I wouldn't buy it again, not because it's bad just because I miss the depth and warmness of LP tone. If I'm on budget I will get me some Epi LP, if not I will go for real LP. The other budget guitars that were available at he time I purchased was Jay Turser, and this one was by far much better. I really wish it had a better pickups.

Igamikun
    You rated this guitar wayyyy too high for all the issues you listed. Sounds more like 5-6 from what I just read.
    ahmedkhalil
    my rating was not that high, cause I was rating it compared to its price range. for that price range I have tried some other guitars at the store and it was the best one.