WG587 review by Washburn

Washburn: WG587

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Music-123.com

This is a brilliant rock and metal guitar, it's got a nice chunky sound and with high gain it sounds luscious. It is a brilliant guitar for metal. It's a tad noisy but nothing a noise suppressor can't handle. The Bridge pick up is a nice hogh output humbucker that has a tight sounding chug and the neck humbucker is quite warm and smooth.

First of, when you look at this guitar, don't think of it as a cheap 7, look at it in a cheap 7 string that has better value for money than some guitars worth 3 or four times it's value. This guitar is a perfect example of a company designing a guitar to work and not have any flashy floyd rose, no speed neck, no locking tuners, no killpots, coil tapping, active buckers. It's just a rock solid piece of wood with 7 string on it. If this were stolen, I would probably cry for a year. It's my favorite guitar. If I could change this guitar, the only thing I would change would be the scale, it's just not big enough for me, but I don't care, I will file my fingers down to fit this thing if needs be. I love it. I have considered putting new pick ups in this, but I don't think it would be as good. If you see one, buy it, even if you have no intent to play it as your main guitar, just buy it in the knowledge that it won't f--k up.

The pick up selector seemed a bit flimsy when I got it, but 6 and a half years later it's still working fine. I gig this guitar more than any of my other guitars because I know it's reliable, it'll stand a beating, I recently dropped it down a set of stairs, picked it up, and played half an hour later, it only needed to be retuned. It's still fine 6 months on. The strap buttons were starting to come out a few years ago but I think that's due to the sharp upper horn on it, but I fixed it simply. This guitar was built to last.

When I got it, I lowered the action, it has a tiny rattle of the strings but nothing that comes out on an amp, I raised the pick ups slightly to meet the strings nicely and I threw on a heavy gauge string set and intonated it so it sounded brilliant. I was annoyed that I had to set it up myself but I think whoever had originally set it up did so you could play with a slide. There was a dent on the top aswel below the Bridge but it was solid besides that.

It was made in 2004, in china, 24 frets with medium frets, it feels like a 25 inch scale, rosewood fretboard but I'm not sure what the body is made of. The neck is a beast, it's thicker than anything I've ever played. It's got a tune o matic bridge, metallic red finish, 3 way pick up selector, 2 pickups that are pretty HOT though passive, Grover tuners. Mine didn't come with anything, no strap, cable or even a thank you. Just a big cardboard box and masses of bubble wrap (fun for 2 weeks!)

Mainer
    I've wanted a 7 string guitar for a few years now (since I started listening to Korn haha) and This is perfect for my price-range
    dirklatex
    you guys say you'd buy it again if it got stolen. well, mine was and i was depressed when i began searching for a replacement. all were waaay more expensive, and since i am just a hobbyist, i wasn't all that thrilled to be spending so much money to replace it. i paid $206.00 for mine brand new from music123. i started cruising around the pawn shops in my area because i figured the douchebag meth head who stole it was just wanting the cash. no luck until i saw an advertisement in the local paper for a pawn shop i didn't know about. went down there and lo and behold there she was on the rack just as pristine as when it was in my possession. asked the owner about who brought it in and he had a photo of the guy's drivers license. called the cops and got my guitar back. it even had the little plastic covering over the tuning pegs and backplate where i'd left them for protection. guess the thief had wanted to get the most money for it so he didn't mess it up. mine though, has a single pickup in between two hummers at the neck and bridge, and a five way switch
    markbayliss
    I am buying one in the UK for $150 thanks for the advice, I may change the pick ups.