WI14 review by Washburn

Washburn: WI14

Purchased from: Music123.com

When I bought it I was expecting a Squire-quality starter guitar but I got a guitar that I still use three years after I bought it. I play music like Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith and it works suprisinly well. I use it with a Marshall MG30 with Dunlop Wah, and Danelectro distortion and flanger pedals. It is noisy on all settings but it has a full sound. You can do almost any techniques on this guitar and it will morph to any style.

This was the guitar I learned everything I know on and it was an absolutely incredible beginner guitar (many of my friends started at the same time with squiers or old guitars handed down to them and all of them looked up to my guitar). I've been playing for 3 years but I would consider myself an advanced guitarist. If it were lost or stolen I would be hurt but I wouldn't buy another as it's only value is sentimental. Compared to my Gibson it is mediocre, but what isn't when compared to a Gibson. The only thing I wish it had was a floyd rose bridge, if it did I would still use it alot. In conclusion, this guitar is a great starter guitar, although it is hard to find nowadays. I would recomend it to any beginner or intermediate guitarist looking for a good low-priced guitar.

Other than the electronic problems I mentioned before I've never had a problem. I'm not sure if this guitar will withstand live playing because I only played a few gigs with it. The strap buttons are solid and have not come off yet. The finish has lasted very very well but it needs alot of polishing because of the black mirror finish.

The guitar was well set-up but it is subject to malfunctions (the electronics are having problems with the saudering, which I have already re-saudered multiple times). I did not play the guitar with it's original pickup adjustments but they are very easy to adjust.

This guitar was handmade in USA. 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard and circle inlays. Laminated black top with mohogany body (I'm not sure of the neck). It has a Les Paul style body and a Tune-O-Matic bridge with a tremelo. Treble and rhythm pickups (humbuckers), volume knobs and tone knobs with a 3-way Switch. Came with a pedal to amp cable and a very nice case.

ChangTurkey
    Argh, I have the WI24, which is basically the same as the WI14, but made in Indonesia, not to mention the paint chips PRETTY easily. Watch out.