WI14 review by Washburn

Washburn: WI14

The sound of this guitar is what disappointed me the most. Yeah, it's a beginners guitar but the pick-ups were especially weak. Especially the bridge. I play blues/rock so I replaced my bridge pickup with a P-90 and now it sounds a lot better. The flimsy wood still makes me long for better guitar, however.

I have been playing on this guitar for about 9 months. It's my first guitar so it's OK. For a cheaper model, this is a great option and like many people have pointed out on here, it's better than the Squires. However, I think the Epiphone packages might be a little tighter than this product, so that's up to you. After playing for a little but now, I have come to understand what makes a decent guitar and what doesn't On the one hand, the neck, machine heads and other hardware are all pretty decent. The guitar is easy to play and usually stays in tune. I have the dark red one and the finish looks nice. So again, for a beginner guitar this one serves it's purposes. However, I don't care for the wood stock. Though the lightness of it makes it easy to play, it feels flimsy and cheap sometimes. Also the stock pickups are pretty crappy. I replaced my bridge with a P-90 recently and now I appreciate this a guitar a lot more. I strongly recommend replacing one or both if you ever plan on plugging this thing in. The headstock looks really cheap too. Why do manufactures make cheap guitars look cheap? In terms of features, I give this guitar a 7. It's great to learn on and totally affordable. IT should hold any beginner over until they're ready to play out. When that time comes it's time to upgrade to.

For a cheaper guitar it seems fairly durable. I'm a pretty clumsy guy bu t it still sounds as sturdy as the day I bought it. The tuners do well with even thicker strings (I play 11s). I can't imagine playing live with this guitar unless some serious adjustments were made to the sound, but if one were to I think it would last throughout at least one gig.

The plus side of this guitar is its playability. The fret radius is small and my hands glide up and down the neck. This is easily the best feature of this guitar. The action was a little too low when I bought it and there was some buzzing. This was easily fixed though.

This guitar is the lowest end of Washburn's Idol series. It was manufactured in China and is crafted from a light basswood stock. It has 22 frets that are fairly easy to play. It has a laminated, transparent finish and the body style is most reminiscent of a Les Paul, though the cheaper wood makes it much lighter. It has a string-through bridge and two stock humbuckers. Each pickup has it's own volume and tone controls. All the hardware is chrome.

washburn4metal
    I got the 14 a year ago, and I have to say, for the price, its an awesome guitar. I do agree that the pickups are a little noisy, and changing the tone doesn't really do anything, but it has an exceptionally good crunch. I think it's a great beginner to intermediate guitar
    skrellington
    I Love This Guitar, Of course i have had only one other guitar, Jules, which was an esteban,,,,not much of a guitar. but my Washburn WI14, which i named Angel is awesome to play, easy to play, has great sound, and the pickups are awesome, no white noise whatsoever. i'd give this guitar a 10
    DasiusPsycho
    I really like this guitar. It was the first guitar I ever got, and I still play it to this day. It has a really good sound, and is very easy to play, I definatly recomend to anybody looking to buy a starter guitar.
    emaadwi14
    im gettin mine on my bday its coming in a pack wi14 plus tuner, strap, piks, amp, chords and a dvd
    Rocker613
    ok i have this guitar and first the neck pickup would work on and off now it doesnt work at all then that happened to the bridge pickup so how do i sauder it or whatever???
    Jonesie110
    i have this guitar and it is by far the best one i own... the only problem i have with it is the frets are a little rough, and hard to hold down, you get used to it in time althought the frets seem to feel like an acoustic.... great starter, good for advanced players also