WI14 review by Washburn

Washburn: WI14

Purchased from: local Ukrainian online store

I'm just a beginner, I've been playing electric guitar only for 3 months, and I've been trying to play the acoustic since I was 12. I'm 15 now. So my level is rather low. Anyway, I play mostly metal and alternative stuff, bands like Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Bullet For My Valentine, Skillet. The guitar has two humbuckers, passive of course. I can get some decent sound for Bullets and Skillet. The warm tone TDG have is impossible to get, I believe. To be honest, I've tried playing it only through guitar rig and other programs like that, cause I haven't got enough money for a decent amp right now. So, maybe if you play it through an amp, things get better. The guitar sounds quite well unplugged, I like the sound, it's warm and bright. That's why it gets an eight.

Overall, I'd say that this a good beginner guitar. It is a good guitar for someone who's into metal, but, personally, I wish it was more versatile. Taking its price into account, the guitar does the job well: just a simple instrument to develop your playing skills. I put all the ratings having the price in my mind, cause if you compared it to a Gibson Les Paul, it'd get far worse grades. I don't think I'd like to buy it again if it was stolen. It's value for me is that its my first instrument, but nothing more. I love the look of the guitar, all of my friends were impressed. I also love the sound of the unplugged guitar. When I get an amp, maybe I'll also get a nice TDG tone. But for now it gets 8 overall. Good beginners guitar, well built and reliable. Don't expect top-notch sounds from it, and you'll be satisfied.

I haven't gigged with it yet, but I think it would withstand live playing. Though I wouldn't like to have it as a main guitar for concerts, cause it gets out of tune quite easily. I play for two-three hours a day, and I have to tune it every two days. The strap buttons are solid, haven't had any problems with, though most of the time I play standing. It doesn't get scratched very easily, the only scratches mine has got are at the back, because of my belt buckle. Nine because of the tuners.

The guitar I got was flawless, well set-up and so on. I just picked it up, tuned it in drop d and began playing. The strings that come with the guitar are pretty good, I read somewhere that they are D'Addario ones. Anyway, I've been playing them for three months already, and they still sound well.

I won't talk a lot about the features, as they can be seen on the official site. It's a LesPaul with tune-o-magic bridge and two humbuckers. Just in a few words: the guitar is pretty simple, well-built, quite heavy. It looks nice in dark red finish I've got, and I'd say that it looks as if it cost much more than 165$. A cheap demo cable and some tools were included in the guitar package.

henryawebster
    People have failed to point out that this is a real Washburn not a lyon or an epiphone or a squire...they put their NAME on it, I have been playing for over 30 years and think it is a solid piece of equipment!
    Craftist
    Bought mine for $35 at a flea market in NJ. It was made in China. It plays really well with good intonation. The body style is comfortable and it has a good cut away for playing all 22 maple frets. Funky black finish on the back, done in a chinese sweat shop somewhere no doubt. no biggie tho. Stock pickups are seldom great, but that's what amps and wave modifiers are for. So for my 35 bucks this is a very playable guitar with grover machine heads that stay in tune. It is indeed better than a squire IMHO, but those too are machined well these days, and to very respectible tolerences. For a beginner guitar the WI14 is definitly worth the $150 asking price for the kit. And for that kind of money, who care if you scratch it up?