WI16-G15 review by Washburn

Washburn: WI16-G15

This guitar definately suits my rock/metal style, and when plugged into the Spider III produces fantastic sound. It offers anything from a destructive crunch to a soft clean sound, which does nicely for Enter Sandman solos and intros. I sometimes use this guitar with a DigiTech Grunge pedal or DigiTech Death Metal pedal, although since I've bought the Spider III I haven't really had to use pedals.

Overall, I love this guitar, and I'm not sure what I'd do if I lost it, it is definately a perfect match for my style and sounds good no matter what effects you decide to use, apart from this, I really wish that it had a slightly more interesting fret board like the ESP F-400FM or something to go with the design on the body, it could also do with a Floyd Rose, but no big deal. If you ever see this guitar anywhere; buy it! I've tried over and over again to find it on ebay and other websites as well as all my local music shops, but with no sucess, it's even hard to find a picture on google images!

I haven't played a gig with this guitar yet; but I'm pretty sure it would withstand one. I'm positive that the strap wouldn't break free halfway through a song because of the extremely "grabby" strap buttons, no matter how much you move around, it just will not come loose, compared to my Strat where even a small amount of movement will send your strap flying and your guitar hurtling to the floor. The only downside with these strap buttons is that it is a real pain getting the straps ON. I don't think I'd even need a backup with this guitar and I'd confidently move around the stage without having to worry about my guitar smashing on the floor because of a shitty strap.

I don't really know how it was factory set-up, since I bought it from a friend and he had no doubt messed about with everything. But whatever he did to it; it works. The pickups are in a good position and the bridge is also tuned to perfection (as I see it anyway...). Although there is no visable damage, there is a bit of damage on the back of the guitar; no dents, but the finish has been scuffed and there are a few deepish scratches. Also, 3 of the dials were loose, and 1 of them had a loose connection; but this was sorted with very little effort.

I don't know an incredible amount about this guitar; only that you won't find it on ebay or any other shop or store; only a limited amount were manufactured and are no longer sold... Anyway, I LOVE this guitar, I bought it off my friend a few weeks ago and as soon as I plugged it in it became my favourite guitar. It gives a warm tone as well as a crisp tone, depending on which pickups you choose to use, when I got it, a few of the dials weren't working, but this was easily solved as I tightened the securing nuts and re-saudered the connections on one of the dials since the wire had somehow detactched itself. The neck is maple I believe and has a rosewood fretboard; consisting of 22 jumbo frets. The body is similar to a Les Paul, except with an extra cuttaway on the left hand side of the neck,it has a full Tune-O-Matic bridge, as used on Les Pauls and has a volume and tone dial for each pickup (so 2 tone dials and 2 volume dials.) It also has a 3-way selector to change between pickups. Most of the guitar is black, although there is a design on the top of the body; which is a skull with a "roughed up" grey background. Unfortunately, I have no idea what make/model the pickups are; all I know is that they are extremely nice to play.

Vypor
    I got a washburn WV-16 that I absoluetly love, same story as yours though. No longer being made and you cant find em anywhere. I put EMG 81/85s in mine with 18v. I like washburns..
    Mad_Rocker_Guy
    wolf at dawn
    I own a WI14 and have loved it for years. I couldn't ask for a better guitar for such a great price.
    jetwash69
    Mad_Rocker_Guy wrote: Just realised that the photo i used in this review makes the guitar look pink; it isn't it's just the photo.
    Looks purple on my monitors. I thought it was the replacement for Washburn's discontinued Hannah Montanna telecaster--Hannah gone all death metal. :
    Mad_Rocker_Guy
    Just noticed that the picture I've used is also a WI16 - G12, not a G15, if you want to see the G15, check my profile for pics. Thanks.
    hardcoren00b
    I had the same prob with the wires on my WI16 G15..a guy gave it to me in exchange for a tattoo... judging by your review it was a good deal, considering it was a small tat
    hardcoren00b
    I had the same prob with the wires on my WI16 G15..a guy gave me this guitar in exchange for a tattoo... judging by your review it was a good deal, considering it was a very small tat
    Rickondrius
    I've owned (and still own) an all-black WI-16 for over 2 years and all I have to say, it is an amazing guitar, though lately it's been getting out of tune frequently but that's my fault for completely disassembling it and putting it back together, needs some truss rod adjustment. But overall a good guitar.
    yuks.frita
    la guitarra es exelente haga muy bien los sonidos y hace poco toque con ella en un concierto tributo a dos grandes del grunge y sono super bien aqui le dejo el video
    y quisiera saber de que tipo de madera sera un saludo desde venezuela