WI16-G15 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 07/15/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: WI16-G15
The body is similar to a Les Paul, except with an extra cuttaway on the left hand side of the neck,it has a full Tune-O-Matic bridge, as used on Les Pauls and has a volume and tone dial for each pickup. It also has a 3-way selector to change between pickups.
 8.8
 8.6
 3,061
review (1) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
WI16-G15 Reviewed by: Mad_Rocker_Guy, on july 15, 2009

Features: I don't know an incredible amount about this guitar; only that you won't find it on ebay or any other shop or store; only a limited amount were manufactured and are no longer sold... Anyway, I LOVE this guitar, I bought it off my friend a few weeks ago and as soon as I plugged it in it became my favourite guitar. It gives a warm tone as well as a crisp tone, depending on which pickups you choose to use, when I got it, a few of the dials weren't working, but this was easily solved as I tightened the securing nuts and re-saudered the connections on one of the dials since the wire had somehow detactched itself. The neck is maple I believe and has a rosewood fretboard; consisting of 22 jumbo frets. The body is similar to a Les Paul, except with an extra cuttaway on the left hand side of the neck,it has a full Tune-O-Matic bridge, as used on Les Pauls and has a volume and tone dial for each pickup (so 2 tone dials and 2 volume dials.) It also has a 3-way selector to change between pickups. Most of the guitar is black, although there is a design on the top of the body; which is a skull with a "roughed up" grey background. Unfortunately, I have no idea what make/model the pickups are; all I know is that they are extremely nice to play. // 9

Sound: This guitar definately suits my rock/metal style, and when plugged into the Spider III produces fantastic sound. It offers anything from a destructive crunch to a soft clean sound, which does nicely for Enter Sandman solos and intros. I sometimes use this guitar with a DigiTech Grunge pedal or DigiTech Death Metal pedal, although since I've bought the Spider III I haven't really had to use pedals. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't really know how it was factory set-up, since I bought it from a friend and he had no doubt messed about with everything. But whatever he did to it; it works. The pickups are in a good position and the bridge is also tuned to perfection (as I see it anyway...). Although there is no visable damage, there is a bit of damage on the back of the guitar; no dents, but the finish has been scuffed and there are a few deepish scratches. Also, 3 of the dials were loose, and 1 of them had a loose connection; but this was sorted with very little effort. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played a gig with this guitar yet; but I'm pretty sure it would withstand one. I'm positive that the strap wouldn't break free halfway through a song because of the extremely "grabby" strap buttons, no matter how much you move around, it just will not come loose, compared to my Strat where even a small amount of movement will send your strap flying and your guitar hurtling to the floor. The only downside with these strap buttons is that it is a real pain getting the straps ON. I don't think I'd even need a backup with this guitar and I'd confidently move around the stage without having to worry about my guitar smashing on the floor because of a shitty strap. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this guitar, and I'm not sure what I'd do if I lost it, it is definately a perfect match for my style and sounds good no matter what effects you decide to use, apart from this, I really wish that it had a slightly more interesting fret board like the ESP F-400FM or something to go with the design on the body, it could also do with a Floyd Rose, but no big deal. If you ever see this guitar anywhere; buy it! I've tried over and over again to find it on ebay and other websites as well as all my local music shops, but with no sucess, it's even hard to find a picture on google images! // 9

Comments