WI200 PRO review by Washburn

Washburn: WI200 PRO

Price paid: £ 379.99

Purchased from: Reidys Home Of Music

As I said this guitar is great at classic rock which I play all the time (think Richie Sambora and your bang on the money). It's a brilliant guitar and very versatile. I regularly change playing style and music genre on the fly while playing which is not only possible but also easy to do with the VCC ready for acion at all times. I've been playing it mainly on a Line 6 SpiderIV 15 watt amp, which is a decent little ampp but doesn't really do justice to the guitar, on a better amp I have every Faith that the Washburn can sound even better. Having said that, it still sounds amazing even on the Line 6, and I regularly use the effects set up on the Line 6 which are, for those of you who don't know, Chorus Flange, Phaser, Tremolo, Sweep Echo, Tape Echo, Reverb and four different channels called Clean, Crunch, Metal and Insane. Overall the guitar is loud, versatile and nice and easy to play. I did have to adjust the action slightly when I first got her to get rid of a pretty bad fret buzz problem, but now she plays like a dream. Again I'm giving this a 10 because of the sheer versatility of the instrument. All of it's sounds are amazing and the VCC helps the guitar get sounds that some guitars twice as expensive can't attain.

I play a lot of classic rock mainly Richie Sambora stuff and this guitar is perfect for this style of music, it's handled everything I've ever thrown at it amazingly well. I've been playing properly or just over 2 years and have a Yamaha FD01 Acoustic guitar, a Squier by Fender Stratocaster, a cheap Westfield Acoustic and of course my baby, my Washburn WI200 PRO. This guitar is the pick of the bunch, the only one I have that's more surprising is my Yamaha Acoustic and that's only because the Yamaha sounds incredible for the dirt cheap RRP that I got it for, it really catche you off guard. I love the sounds this guitar can come up with, it really is so versatile there's nothing you couldn't play with it, but it does seem to handle classic rock better than anything else. The pickups and the VCC are deinitely my favourite features. If it was lost or stolen I would get another one. I don't know if I would get another one straight away but that's only because I want an Baja Telecaster or an ESP LTD SA-2 relly badly. I would buy this guitar again no doubt but I might try something else before I did. The only thing I wish it had is a whammy bar but to be honest, it doesn't need one, that's just my personal preference. I'm giving this guitar a 10 on Overall Impression because it really is a stunning example of the breed. It is the best guitar I have played in it's price range. If your saving or your first decent electric guitar or if your buying one for someone and don't know what time to get, I happily recommend the versatile, satisfying, sexy Washburn WI200 PRO.

This guitar can take a beating, it's already been dropped and banged more times than I care to remember and still sounds as new with barely a scratch to show for it. I would gladly play this live without a back-up if I had to. Obviously I wouldn't choose to not have a back-up it's just common sense to have a contingency plan, but if I had to choose one guitar to rely on live, it would be my Washburn WI200 PRO. I've played this guitar everyday for almost a year and it still looks every bit as new as it did the day I got it. All the buttons and controls are still perfect with no sign of them beginning to break, all in all this guitar is VERY well put together. I'm giving it a 10 on Reliabilty & Durability because it's is just so very sturdy.

When I got her my Washburn was set up well and arrived clean and undamaged. I did have to adjust the action but with the Tune-O-Matic bridge it was a Piece-O-Cake. The pickups are set perfectly as is all the hard ware, the knob at the top o the pick up selector can become loose after a while but that's about it. The guitar sits so comfortably when you play that you can play for hours without any discomfort and it's equally as comfortable standing up on stage or in practice. I'm going to give it a 9 out of 10 for Action, Fit & Finish because it had a slight action problem, and the loose pickupselector can annoy if your a perfectionist like me. Also I beleive that no guitar can ever be truely perfect so I don't intend to give it all 10's.

Mine is a 2007 Washburn WI200 PRO made in the USA with 22 medium jumbo frets on a very fast Rosewood fingerboard on top of a Maple neck. It's a dark red high gloss finish on the body that looks absolutely stunning, similar in style to a Les Paul. It has a chrome Tune-O-Matic bridge, two Seymour Duncan Custom pickups which sound Incredible. The Buzz Feitin Tuning system keeps this guitar in tune easily even with Heavy bending which is a big part of my playing style. The three way pickup selector knob can become quite loose but that's just nit-picking. The four volume control knobs are all solid, smooth, good looking bits of kit. You get two for Volume and one for the VCC (or Voice Contour Control) to you and me. The VCC is a brilliant system but I have trouble explaining it so here's what Washburn have to say about it. "Many Washburn guitars equipped with humbuckers have a feature called VCC, which is currently available only on Washburn. VCC stands for Voice Contour Control and it is a unique system that is similar to coil tapping, in that it changes the tone of your humbucking pick-up to that of a single coil, but it does it by turning the tone button. In doing so you get every sound from your humbucker to the P-90 to the single coil and all points in between, all without the hum normally associated with single coils. In other words, it gives the player the option of a warm/thick humbucker sound, or a thinner single coil sound at the twist of a knob. With VCC at 10 on the guitar knob, you get a fuller, thicker sound characteristic of humbucking pickups." Hope that helped. Altogether for the money you pay you get a whole lot of guitar and the PRO is great for classic rock guitar which is mostly what I play, the PRO E is better for pure metal sounds. I can't in all good conscience give this guitar any less than a 10 on features because it gives you so much for relatively little money. I've seen and played on guitars that cost much more than this and aren't half as well equipped.

evan-simpson22
    Actually a friend of mine has this and no it isnt STUNNING in person, lmao to me it feels like garbage, it literally makes me feel like im playing guitar in the garbage...
    ZA58
    in all honesty i guest look at the pict when someone gets a washburn
    ThomasOlano
    well I don't think things like Explorers and Flying Vs look good but some people love them so I guess everyone has different opinions on what looks STUNNING in person don't they