WI64 review by Washburn

Washburn: WI64

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Believe it or not, this guitar is one of my favorites. I run an AC30 right now with a variation of pedals, and it does *anything*. I've covered Guns, Van Halen, some Country, my band's hard rock/trash. It's noisy at all. It's a full, rich tone that I love to death. Blows any Epiphone Les Paul, and most "lower" end Gibsons I've seen out of the water. Like I said, I'd like some dynamics with the pots, but that's a minor problem to me.

I play rock, hard rock, blues, and it plays everything well. From clean tones to grit, to higher gain, it works. I love the guitar. If it were stolen, I'd order another one, and a WI66Pro, and an N4, and plenty of other Washburn products. They're one of my favorite guitar companies!

I put Schaller strap locks on it, as I do with any guitar, but the stock strap buttons were fine. I just don't trust any strap buttons, as I've ruined guitars like that. I've gigged with it several times with no problems. I wouldn't gig without a backup, because anything could happen in a live situation.

I said before I bought it new. But it had been sitting, with the factory strings on it, for ages. It was in great shape, nonetheless. I got it set up with 10s, how I like it, but otherwise, nothing's wrong with the guitar at all. It's beautiful. Literally everyone, from my family to other guitarists, say it looks great!

I bought this guitar new this year, but it is an '04. The pawn shop I bought it from had had it since then, and hadn't sold it. So they cut a deal, and it's great! 23 frets, solid guitar. Made of mahogany. Rosewood fretboard, Washburn pickups, tune-o-matic bridge. Les Paul-type guitar, but in my opinion, much better, shape-wise, at least. Normally, these guitars go for anywhere from 250-400 dollars, but I cut a deal. I ended up with one that's in a distressed finish, in that it has copper-colored hardware and is a stained body, but it is not a WI-64DL. It comes with Washburn's VCC (voice contour control), which replaces the traditional tone circuit, that supposedly dials humbuckers back to a more single coil-esque sound...it doesn't quite do that, but I keep it somewhere around 5 anyways, a result of my own experimenting with it. I don't love the volume pots, because I'm in love with Fender and PRS pots, but with that change made, I would love it!

Blackdogxx
    I own 2 and had the original with the VCC and sold it. The latest is black at $120 hardly used. I replaced the 2 odd pots and put in 2 Kent Armstrong P90s (HB size) and it lit this guitar up ! The neck on these is really nice with good rosewood and smooth, well shaped frets. They are a bit headstock heavy, so plan to get a slightly grippy strap and/or add a second rear strap button higher up the edge to alter the balance. My Wi64DL is trans green with a used Pearly Gates bridge pup and standard pots (no VCC)and it sounds huge. One of Washburn's very best electrics and I have owned 4 different models.
    arcenecotterell
    Drew Richards of the highly underrated rock/ goth/ metal band Die So Fluid has several Wasburns including WI64's and WI65's. Almost everything he has recorded with Die So Fluid was played on these guitars and he has used them exclusively when touring with the band throughout Europe and the US. In his words "they aren't perfect but they sound and play great"Die So Fluid - Bitterness By Discipline
    binting
    just had this guitar a month ago and my friends the bass player said its so metal i don't know if its me or the guitar
    HelenBak
    I just bought a '99 WI64. I love it! From it's candy apple red finish to the VCCs, it's screams my name. Everyone says this is the perfect guitar for me. Fast, thin neck, pots are exactly in the right place, beautiful range of tones. I had an issue with the G string going sharp, but changed the nut and that eliminated the problem. I used to play primarily rhythm, but I lost my guitar player and am able to step out of my comfort zone and play some leads, thanks to this guitar! I had a '58 strat when I was a kid (and didn't realize what I had) and a Les Paul Jr. 20 years ago (had to sell it when my kid was born. I know, right?) This girl is staying with me. She rocks!