WI64DL Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 01/16/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: WI64DL
This guitar smokes with all of Washburn's top features - Buzz Feiten tuning system, voice contour control, jumbo frets, set neck, and 18:1 Grover tuners. This deluxe model includes quilted maple top and gold hardware.
 9.1
 9.6
 8.6
 5,321
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
WI64DL Reviewed by: Zeus2716, on january 16, 2006

Features: This is a 2005 Washburn Guitar, made in the US factory. It is a solid mahogony body with a quilted maple top. This guitar comes in green, blue, and a Vintage sunburst, I have the blue finish. It has a set neck, which is ultra-smooth and easy to play on. It has a rosewood fret board, with 22 jumbo frets. The single cutaway design does add some dificulty in reaching the upper-frets, but it is a problem easily overcome by simply focusing on your fingers. The guitar came with two humbuckers, each with gold covers, which work fine, though I plan on upgrading the pups at a later point. There are two volume controls, and two tone controls. It has the voice-contour control system, which I find out of this world. It helps achieve one helluva single coil sound, even though this guitar is equiped with two humbuckers. It comes with a stop bar tailpiece, and 18:1 grover tuners. All the harware is gold, which goes beautifully with the blue finish. I will admit, the balance on this thing could be better, but it is not too terrible. I would have also loved for this to have trapazoid inlays like on some Gibsons, but that is just presonal preference. An amazing guitar. A hardshel case was included. // 10

Sound: I play this through a Fender 100w amp. the sound is absolutely orgasmic. I play rock and blues, and this guitar is great for both. I can play on the bridge pup and have an amazing blues/rock crunch, or I can swith to my neck pickup and kick in the VCC for a smooth, sweet, heartfelt blues sound. This guitar can also play cleans with the best of them. Great tone, all around. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up great at the factory. the action was literally on the fretboard. the intonnation was perfect, as the factory sets it up with the Buzz Feiton tuning system. I love the blue finnish, it is perfect. No runs or anything. the inlays were laser-tight with the fretboard. The only problem I have had with this guitar is that every now and then, the nut around the input jack will fall out when I unplug. This hapenes to every guitar I own though, so it may just be me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This seems like a sturdy guitar, though I have only had it a few months. I do believe, however, that this guitar was a great investment and will only get better with the years. The strap buttons are solid, though I plan on getting straplocks soon, because you can never be too sure. I would not, however, play a gig without a backup, for fear of my input falling out. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this instrument is amazing. Of every guitar I own, this one, without a doubt, is my favorite. Great bang for the buck, in my opinion, just as good as any Gibson I have ever played, aside from custom shop models. If it were stolen, I would have no second thoughts in buying it again. Acctually, this is a guitar I would expect to be stolen. Well worth the money. // 10

Comments