WI66PRO review by Washburn

Washburn: WI66PRO

Purchased from: ebay

This guitar can play anything. As I mentioned, it has a really unique "voice contour" control system, where two of the knobs really affect the way the pickups sound (one for each humbucker). You can turn them down for a bluesy, Strat-like sound, or crank it up and rock out with some pop rock and even push it to metal. When it comes down to it, I don't think you can get better variety of sounds, because I've had this guitar for a day and it's versatility is already showing, since I can play Lynyrd Skynyrd, Darkest hour, and Death Cab For Cutie and get perfect tones through a Vox AD30VT. Perhaps the only recommendation I would have is if you intend on playing mainly metal, either get ZW EMGs or get the BLS model of this guitar which already has active pickups. If you're thinking of getting a Gibson or an ESP, check this guitar out for sure.

Overall, this guitar is everything I've ever wanted. I used to think I really wanted a Gibson or an ESP, and I just couldn't afford them with the prices. Then I found this little gem on ebay and got it for Christmas. It matches the way I play perfectly. I've played for about 3 years now, and this guitar is so easy to play, it practically plays itself. Now I'm going to sell my Epiphone, because I don't need it anymore, as it pales in comparison to this guitar. If it were stolen, and I had the money, I'd replace it in a heartbeat. The tuning system and Voice contour control make this guitar unique and fantastic. Basically it comes down to this: I've had access to a Gibson SG and an ESP EC-1000 for the past year, and I prefer to play this one. Perhaps the only thing I wish it had was 24 frets instead of 22, but that's a minor quandry. This guitar is amazing, so go buy one!

This guitar seems durable as all hell. Like I said, I just got it today, but I've been playing it for four hours straight more or less, and not once has the strap came off. The hardware seems like it could withstand quite a bit, and I think that I would gig with this guitar without a backup, because I'm clumsy and I already hit it on the edge of a table; still, no dings, no loss in quality, no broken pieces, and no finish marks. These guitars are solid.

This thing came to me with very little use, still factory setup, and it's perfect. The action is fantastic with no fret buzz and the intonation is right on. The only weird thing that I fixed was they have the neck pickup really loose when it comes to you so it's kind of "sunk" in the guitar. It sounds fine, but I adjusted mine. Everything was properly affixed, and the guitar came with perfect finish; no dings, scratches, dents or marks on this baby.

I got this off of an auction on ebay. It's the 2006 model made in Korea, with 22 frets. It's made of rosewood and maple, and it has a beautiful flamed top honey burst finish. It looks like a Les Paul, has passive Seymour Duncans (that wail, but I'll get to that later), it has a really unique control system and has grover 18:1 locking tuners. Mine particularly came wit an SKB hardshell, but a factory HSC accompanies this guitar from what I understand. All in all, this thing is beautiful and functional.

Andymo
    Hi, I am a newbie and glad i came across this site, both blicero and MadMudgeN Reviews on the Wi600PRO were very helpfull as i was considering buying this model, now i definitely will. i am from Scotland UK and have searched a few sites and able to get one at a reasonable price, the only thing is they dont seem to sell them with the washburn gig bags or cases over here,i know i could get a universal bag or case but i am a bit coordinated, anyway thanks for the help guys
    highway_star
    I'm from Scotland too! and I did buy this, in a 'Caramel' finish but I have to say the Tobacco finish in the pic gets me drooling everytime Great guitar for the money (I paid 399 - about $790 US) which is a bargain considering the quality of guitar and pick ups that come with it. The VCC is not to everyones taste but if you play around with it you start to notice the changes in sound. I agree that it is slightly top-heavy in the neck but only slightly - dont know if its a kid that said he had problems with the weight (whereas I'm an old git!). Good guitar. If you cant afford Gibson you cant go wrong with this. Recommended.
    El_Lobo_1
    I have a slightly different model, the WI67PRO and it plays wonderfully. The only downside is no whammy bar.
    MadMudgeN
    Mine was $434 US, which I didn't mention and I feel is an absolute steal for this guitar. It's well worth the money for sure; it's definitely the first guitar I've ever played that just feels 'right'.
    rootsr
    I'm considering this guitar as my intermediate guitar, and I have one question. Does the toggle switch get in the way when you strum, i.e. you accidentally flick it when playing?
    guitar_dude11
    I'm interested in this guitar and i was just wondering how diverse the sound is and if it can play different genres as I play anything from indie to metal
    avko2000
    I agree with you,can play different genres as I play anything from indie to metal
    switchead
    I have the limited edition version of this guitar the WI66PROe, basically the same only with active pickups, its unreal!
    MadMudgeN
    I upgraded to a custom WI-66 Celtic Pro E; basically the same but with flame maple top and custom cross inlay at the 12 fret as well as EMG 81/81. Amazing... no need for a Gibson/ESP/anything else really (but did cost me a lot more than your typical WI66). Washburn makes some damn fine budget guitars and I strongly encourage people to try them whether you're a Fender or Gibson or Jackson or whatever fan.
    Kaingel
    This guitar is awesome. I never thought I would play anything other than my L.P custom but after playing this beauty I am converted,this is now my main guitar. Sounds superb,plays like a dream,great features and looks sweet and the price is ridiculous,i paid twice that and then some for my L.P. It will not be to everyone's taste (but what is?) but i just simply love it