WI66PROG review by Washburn

Washburn: WI66PROG

Price paid: C$ 749.95

Purchased from: The Turner Guitar Studio

It has a super thick, rich, powerful sound, moreso than almost any pick-up I know of. I love it for clean rhythm stuff, and high gain lead, especially through either my Tech 21 Trademark 30, or through a really nice tube amp like a Bogner, or a Vox Night Train. My genre is somewhere in the alternative modern rock, indie, folk, type sound, but with branches in all directions, and this guitar pulls almost anything off perfectly. In the coil tapped mode, it gets a really dirty twang to it, with sharp attacks, and a bit of punch, and when both coils on both pick-ups are active, it is as thick as anything, and does great for any lead, or power chord bit I need. Probably my favourite sounding electric I've ever tried.

I LOVE THE GUITAR! If you haven't got that from the rest of the review. Everything about it is brilliant. I would buy another if I lost or got this one stolen, except for the fact that it's now discontinued! What a sad day for the guitar world that was. But seriously the guitar is just brilliant, from the studio to the stage, and everything between it's just perfect. I also own a Blade DD-1, which I would consider on the same level as this, though I paid quite a bit more for the Blade. The Blade does however have it's own distinct sound that I love for certain genre's this one doesn't handle as well, so I'm glad I have both. If you ever come across one used or in a store if they happen to have one still in stock, I whole heartedly recommend you buy it! Or at least try it out, and let it convince you... The only minor gripe is that the looks take a bit to grow on ya, I didn't like it much the first few times I saw it.

Overall everything seems durable, and I don't see this guitar breaking in any way any time soon. I would play a gig without a back-up except I'd be worried a string might break, and then I'd be screwed. Other than that it's as sturdy as a brick... Or something like that.

The action on it from the get go was excellent, and it still plays beautifully. I've never had a problem with the tuning of it, or needed to set it up, and the neck profile on it is exactly how I like it, which is not too thick or too thin.

This guitar was made in Korea in 07 I believe. It has 22 frets Grover machine heads, a tune-o-matic bridge, nice neck inlays, and a Mahogany body, with a carved Metallic gold top finish. It has 2 stacked P-90's with individual tone, volume and coil tap controls, as well as a 3 way switch. It comes with a nice padded gig bag.

rv_phoenix
    ...And probably your first guitar too. Otherwise you wouldn't throw straight 10s (utterly irrelevant if you're a discriminating player) on a guitar made in Korea, in the lower price tag. Btw, in the pics, there are two guitars. I assume yours is the second one, with Seymour Duncan humbuckers. Because you talk about coil tapping, and coil tapping a P90 would be a world premiere. ...But I read again your review, where you praise its gold top , so finally yours is the one with P90s, which raises my question: how do you coil tap a P90, which has only one big coil??? Hopeless amateurs.
    Air_Stryker
    rv_phoenix wrote: ...And probably your first guitar too. Otherwise you wouldn't throw straight 10s (utterly irrelevant if you're a discriminating player) on a guitar made in Korea, in the lower price tag. Btw, in the pics, there are two guitars. I assume yours is the second one, with Seymour Duncan humbuckers. Because you talk about coil tapping, and coil tapping a P90 would be a world premiere. ...But I read again your review, where you praise its gold top, so finally yours is the one with P90s, which raises my question: how do you coil tap a P90, which has only one big coil??? Hopeless amateurs.
    Everything I would have wanted to say has been said.
    81xlh1000
    RV_Phoenix... you're an ass.... If your so ffffing smart, contact Washburn, ask them how they coil tap it. I own one, and I can varify, it is coil tapped... maybe they tap the top stack, ever think of that einstein? Doesn't matter how many guitars he has owned or how long he has played. He likes it. It fits him and his style.
    omidmash
    DeviousByNature wrote: You don't have to rain on his wee parade just because you think you're the hot stuff. If he gives it a ten, he thinks it's a ten and that's fine. Doesn't mean we have to feel that it's the same - I certainly don't. Stop trying to be clever and just don't read on if you don't agree.
    It's a review, not a personal statement.
    DeviousByNature
    jinsu2301
    DistantUtopia
    there's something to be said for giving the guitar a fair review by the reviewer though, especially with the amount of amateur guitarists on this site that read this stuff and use it to judge what kind of guitars to get. Honest reviews by experienced players, however candid it may seem, is a good idea.
    JB95
    All 10's? You haven't owned many guitars before, have you?
    barnesybaby
    Sorry to bump a dead review thread but @EpiExplorer I think it being called 'PROG' is coincidence as the WI66 PRO is so called because of the spec. The G in this case I think stands for Gold not some sort of 'PROGressive' abbreviation
    rv_phoenix
    jinsu2301 wrote: rv_phoenix wrote: ...But I read again your review, where you praise its gold top, so finally yours is the one with P90s, which raises my question: how do you coil tap a P90, which has only one big coil??? Hopeless amateurs. they are stacked P90s, they do have two coils. hopeless amateur (justkidding but nonetheless, straight 10s? seriously
    Stacked P90s can hardly be coil tapped, since the second coil is placed below the first one, so the ammount of sound picked from the string's vibration is almost negligible and hardly audible. Stacked P90s are used in order to cancel the hum, and not to be coil tapped. This would be a premiere, as I've said. P90s that can be coil tapped are side-by-side , which is not the case, obviously. Hopeless amateurs, as I've said. Just kidding, of course.
    Smokey McPot
    ''a really nice tube amp like a Bogner'' haha sorry, haven't seen a bogner that worked fine yet...