WM10 review by Washburn

Washburn: WM10

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I play almost anything from blues to metal, and this guitar doesn't fit them all. Although it is a very versatile guitar, but only for heavier stuff. In my house, to practice, I run this guitar through a Randall RX25RGM amplifier. In clean, it has a very poor sound in the Bridge pickup, a low sound and nos to deep on middle and a nice deep sound on neck position. Using distortion it has a "normal" sound on the bridge. It's crunchy, but not enough. The single coil in the middle is good for some licks but I don't like using it since it hasn't a very deep sound. The neck humbucker is fine, just that, good for soloing since it has a really nice deep tone. All pickups lacks a warm tone. That is only because the pickups are cheap and weak. Anyway, that can be solved getting a pedal (I use a DigiTech RP50 for practice, and it give really good sounds) or new pickups. I instaled EMG's 81 and 60 in Bridge and neck, and it sounds amazing. But the point here is the factory settings. Any guitar with those pickups can sound good.

As I said before, this a guitar is better suit for heavy stuff, and for me that's what I'm doing right now, so it's ok. I've been playing for seven years and I have a Washburn WI 14, an ESP EX-360, a Jackson RR3 Rhoads and a Gibson Les Paul Studio. The WM 10 is not the best of them all, but I like it. It's really fast to play on, and is comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the whammy bar, it works good, but since the guitar has non-locking tuners, using it too much will mess up the tune. If it were stolen, I would try to recover it, but I wouldn't buy another one. This is a beginner guitar, I just bought it because I liked it and it was cheap.

I've played this guitar live, and I gotta say, it amuse me. Luckily, in a good way. This guitar definitively can withstand live playing. The body itself and the finish are very reliable and it seems the hardware can resist a lot of work. The strap buttons are ok, but always I use strap locks, just to be sure. I always use a back up when playing live. This guitar seems to be well built, it will last a lot, but not forever. I've dropped it some times, and there is no scratchs on the finish or any flaw on the body.

The setup from the factory was decent. Not good and not bad. As I do with all my guitars, I lower the action. There were some bad adjustments with the pickups and the bridge, but, once solved, there's no problem about that. The finish is nice, personally, I like the gloss red finish and the mate grey harsware (tuners, volume and tone knobs, bridge, etc). There weren't any flaws on the guitar it the moment of purchase.

It was made in 2009 in Indonesia. It has 24 frets on a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard with "sharktooths" inlays. The scale lenght is 25.5" I guess. The body is a superstrat shape in mahogany and is bolt-on built. The finish is gloss red with mate gray harware. The Bridge is some kind of floating one, I don't know it's name. It has an H-S-H configuration with Washburn pickups, all passive. One volume and one tone knob and a 5-way selector. Non-locking tuners. It came with a gig bag, a strap, a cable, tools and a whammy bar.

Lewadra
    rosleck
    Good review for someone for whom English is an secondary language.
    Tiago Sa
    The red version looks very cool but the lack of a locking nut is a no-no...
    LeonidasVath
    Good review for someone for whom English is an secondary language.
    yes, an secondary language. Hahahahaha just givin' you a hard time.. (: looks like a decent guitar (for an entry level guitar), I can't stand that headstock though.
    feathers632
    It was stolen. I spent 2 years trying to recover it and then gave up. I realised it was not worth spending another 2 years trying to recover it. At least I gave it my best shot. I think it was stolen by some guy named Dave Dagger.
    DimebagZappa
    Katto
    DimebagZappa wrote: Pickups that cost more then the guitar itself. Whats the point? Decent review though! I just dont see why anyone would buy a floyd guitar without locks. Seems like a horrible idea.
    Yeah, when i bought this guitar, i didn't know much about guitars, so i thought it was nice, plus it wasn't expensive. I've put EMGs pickups in all my guitars because i like the sound that they deliver and i plan to keep playing all of them for a while. Now, the floyd without locks is really annoying, that's why i don't use the whammy on this guitar.
    Chronologo
    MaggaraMarine
    Katto
    MaggaraMarine wrote: Fruityjuice wrote: Is this an actual floyd rose style guitar or a Fender (Strat) style bridge? It doesn't look like a Floyd Rose. It's more like a vintage (strat) style bridge. Floyd has fine tuners and locks. This doesn't so it's not a Floyd. Everybody just seems to call every whammy bridge a Floyd Rose.
    Yes, it's more like a vintage strat bridge, but it has more movility. It is nothing like a floyd.
    Katto
    Chronologo wrote: Katto wrote: Lewadra wrote: A pretty realistic review but I'd like you to put a little more attention on grammar. Nothing too serious but still...rosleck wrote: Good review for someone for whom English is an secondary language. Yeah, i know about the grammar, i speak spanish (i'm form Chile) and i've learned english by myself, so i know i can make mistakes, But that's how i learn Saludos compatriota... well nice review, it looks like a decent guitar to start playing,you're right about the heavier stuff, most washburn models are suited for heavier music than blues or something with less overdrive.
    Agradable encontrarse con un compatiotra por estos lados . Yes, except for the HB series, almost all washburns are suited for heavier styles
    Calymos
    I love how "This a guitar is better suit for heavy stuff. It's really fast to play on, and is comfortable." is the first thing I saw on Ultimate Guitar today. This is awesome. Looks like a fun guitar to play.
    Sakke
    Katto
    Sakke wrote: Washburn WI 14, an ESP EX-360, a Jackson RR3 Rhoads and a Gibson Les Paul Studio All those guitars and then you have that kind of an amp? You need a new amp seriously. Very informative review, grammar was little weak here and there, but still your review is very understandable.
    Yeah, i know that for sure, but since it's an amp i use for practice in my house, i don't see the needing of a new one. About the grammar, i know that, and if i could know where are my mistakes and how to improve them, that would help me a lot for my next reviews.