WM10 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 06/24/2011 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Washburn: WM10
This a guitar is better suit for heavy stuff. It's really fast to play on, and is comfortable.
 5.5
 7.4
 3.6
 1,772
review (1) pictures (6) 16 comments vote for this gear:
WM10 Reviewed by: Katto, on june 24, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: It was made in 2009 in Indonesia. It has 24 frets on a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard with "sharktooths" inlays. The scale lenght is 25.5" I guess. The body is a superstrat shape in mahogany and is bolt-on built. The finish is gloss red with mate gray harware. The Bridge is some kind of floating one, I don't know it's name. It has an H-S-H configuration with Washburn pickups, all passive. One volume and one tone knob and a 5-way selector. Non-locking tuners. It came with a gig bag, a strap, a cable, tools and a whammy bar. // 8

Sound: I play almost anything from blues to metal, and this guitar doesn't fit them all. Although it is a very versatile guitar, but only for heavier stuff. In my house, to practice, I run this guitar through a Randall RX25RGM amplifier. In clean, it has a very poor sound in the Bridge pickup, a low sound and nos to deep on middle and a nice deep sound on neck position. Using distortion it has a "normal" sound on the bridge. It's crunchy, but not enough. The single coil in the middle is good for some licks but I don't like using it since it hasn't a very deep sound. The neck humbucker is fine, just that, good for soloing since it has a really nice deep tone. All pickups lacks a warm tone. That is only because the pickups are cheap and weak. Anyway, that can be solved getting a pedal (I use a DigiTech RP50 for practice, and it give really good sounds) or new pickups. I instaled EMG's 81 and 60 in Bridge and neck, and it sounds amazing. But the point here is the factory settings. Any guitar with those pickups can sound good. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup from the factory was decent. Not good and not bad. As I do with all my guitars, I lower the action. There were some bad adjustments with the pickups and the bridge, but, once solved, there's no problem about that. The finish is nice, personally, I like the gloss red finish and the mate grey harsware (tuners, volume and tone knobs, bridge, etc). There weren't any flaws on the guitar it the moment of purchase. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar live, and I gotta say, it amuse me. Luckily, in a good way. This guitar definitively can withstand live playing. The body itself and the finish are very reliable and it seems the hardware can resist a lot of work. The strap buttons are ok, but always I use strap locks, just to be sure. I always use a back up when playing live. This guitar seems to be well built, it will last a lot, but not forever. I've dropped it some times, and there is no scratchs on the finish or any flaw on the body. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before, this a guitar is better suit for heavy stuff, and for me that's what I'm doing right now, so it's ok. I've been playing for seven years and I have a Washburn WI 14, an ESP EX-360, a Jackson RR3 Rhoads and a Gibson Les Paul Studio. The WM 10 is not the best of them all, but I like it. It's really fast to play on, and is comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the whammy bar, it works good, but since the guitar has non-locking tuners, using it too much will mess up the tune. If it were stolen, I would try to recover it, but I wouldn't buy another one. This is a beginner guitar, I just bought it because I liked it and it was cheap. // 8

Comments