WM24V review by Washburn

Washburn: WM24V

This guitar is best suited for metal, the Randall pickups are good stock pickups, the bridge pickup is nice, picks up harmonics nicely, lots of bite. The neck pickup leaves a bit to be desired, it lacks a bit of warmth to it but it's still okay. For stock pickups they perform pretty well, I would advise changing them for any serious gigging.

I play a lot of metal, and this guitar is a good match for the price. I have been playing for 3 years now and this guitar blew me away with it's quality and playability. I have played on a Ibanez RG350DX and a Schecter Damien-FR and this guitar beats them both. My only complaint about this guitar is that the whammy bar for the bridge wobbles a little bit when it is not screwed tightly enough in to the bridge, which can be a bit uncomfortable to use. If it were stolen or lost I would buy a Washburn WM526 which is in my eyes the best guitar ever made, but that is just my opinion. I wish this guitar had an original floyd rose and some better pickups, but apart from the latter I am very pleased with this guitar and I will definitely buy a Washburn WM526 in the near future if I can find one.

This guitar will withstand live playing. The hardware will last niceley I imagine and so will the finish. You wont have to worry about fret wear or anything of the sort thanks to the stainless steel frets. I would depend on this guitar in a gig without a backup if I had no choice, but I always take a backup to a gig no matter the situation. Strap buttons are nice and solid, so you don't have to worry about dropping the guitar on stage or anything.

The guitar was not set up when I ordered it, but given my experience with floyd rose guitars this was not a setback and I set it up in less than 30 minutes. The was no flaws in the construction of the guitar apart from a little tiny bit of the lacquer missing on a corner of the headstock, but it was barely noticeable and should not deter you from buying this guitar. The routing for the bridge routing was really nice, it allows the bridge to be buried deep in the guitar for those crazy pitch shifts and whatnot. All the guitar routing was spot on without flaw, no problems with construction whatsoever.

My Washburn WM24V was made in Indonesia in 2009. It features 24 stainless steel frets on a nice and smooth phenolic fingerboard. A Mahogany body and bolt on mahogany neck which is nice and thin, very comfortable to use. The finish was a glossy black all over the guitar, which went very well with the carved top body giving a really sexy look to it. The bridge is a floyd rose (licensed), the pickups are a Randall passive set which I think are suited nicely to metal and rock. Other things included are grover 18:1 tuners, buzz feiten tuning system and one volume, one tone and a 3-way selector switch.

2inglenn
    I bought the hm series about 9 months ago and I have to say it really sucks. I changed the pickups to hot rodded seymore duncan to try to increase sustain and no luck. My 1st guitar was a peavy t15 20some years ago and a kramer and nothing plays like an ibanez to me. I really really HATE this guitar. Paid 450 for it and would sell it for prob 300. Its very pretty and the fretboard is somewhat fast but play is a little sloppy and muddy. Not crisp and precise like past guitars. Seriously thinking about sanding the frets down to eliminate sharp notes if pressed too hard. I play it everyday and want to smash it even more everyday. Dont buy a washburn if you are a pretty good guitarist. Its about as good as a crappy epiphone but better than a Harmony guitar. I HATE my decision to buy it. I play on a spider line 6 and can get zero sustain from it. Prob 3 seconds at most without repicking the note. Worthless for lead playing. Has seriously put a stop on my improvements.