WR120 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 07/03/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: WR120
It reminds of Ibanez, quality guitars, but without the arm and the leg you have to surrender to own one.
 8.5
 5,428
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
WR120 Reviewed by: flatline_guitar, on july 03, 2006

Features: I got this guitar from my church's music director, and he'd had it for about a year and he didn't want it anymore because he had two strats and just got a Les Paul, so I said I'd take it. I'm impressed with this guitar. I'm not very sure what year this guitar was made. Since I don't have it right here beside me I don't know where it was made, but I acctually want to say the USA Ibanez RG body style. I'm pretty sure the body is a 3-piece ash body. Amazing neck! This is one of the most beautiful cuts of maple I've ever seen, and it was oiled very finely and about every six months I go over it with a little tung oil and carnuba wax. This neck plays very fast. It's thin, but not too thin. 24 frets, rosewood fingerboard w/offset inlays. My friend's Gibson Les Paul Studio neck doesn't play this good. Call me crazy but it's true. Standard tremelo bridge, nothing fancy, but I'm rerouting it to put in a Floyd rose. Passive electronics for sure. S/S/H pickup configuration. I disconnected the single coils and put in a DiMarzio Super Distortion 2 at the bridge and it rips. Single volume and tone, 5-way selector. I don't know what tuners these are, factory for sure, but they keep the guitar in tune. I'm getting sperzel locking tuners to put on it soon. // 7

Sound: Before I put the DiMarzio in it, it sounded pretty good. It picked up pinch harmonics okay, but not a good as a desired. I use a Randall RG100SC, and a Korg AX1 guitar effects proccessor, soon to have a Boss 7-band EQ. I mainly use the amps distortion, and this guitar sounds great through it. Not noisy at all, thank god. The factory pickup wasn't even noisy. Very full sound. The tone does a world of differnce, you can go from flat to bright in one turn of the tone. I can get a lot of tones out of the guitar. I play metal/hardcore, and some contemporary praise with it, and it suits it well, chords very good. Great sustain. It suits my style of music wonderfully. I'll give it an 8 for sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory settings were okay. Action was a little high but no biggy, I fixed that. No flaws on the guitar that I've found yet. I give the factory settings, or what I think is factory settings a seven, I've seen bettter, but I've seen a lot worse from better brands. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable. I've dropped it a lot and if it does come out of tune, it's only a little. the hardware will last it seems, I'm putting the old bridge on another guitar, and I think it will last a while. I can depend on this guitar, but I always have a backup just incase. I give this gutiar a 10 on Reliability and Durability. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is awesome for my style of music. I've been playing for two years now, and know enough to know that this guitar is awesome for the money. It's not a high end guitar, probably $200, but it's great. If it were stolen I would cry, find the criminal, take the guitar back, kill him, steal his money, and buy a Shecter C1 Classic. I really like this guitar, and it reminds me of Ibanez, quality guitars, but without the arm and the leg you have to surrender to own one. I give it an 8. // 8

Comments