WV40V review by Washburn

Washburn: WV40V

Purchased from: Second-hand shop in Altrincham, Manchester, UK

I mainly play thrash, death and black metal as well as some cleaner stuff from time to time and I have been playing guitar since Christmas '08. As I get better I hope to start playing things like jazz fusion and progressive rock. I currently use a Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt and sometimes a Vox VT30. I was of course sceptical of the stock pickups because I had never heard of them before. I was partly right though because initially the distortion lacked power, whether this was because of the amp or the pickups, I'm not too sure. However when I retuned the guitar to C# using Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkies, it sounded much better. Pinch harmonics aren't great but the natural harmonics are much better. Additionally the cleans are surprisingly good on the neck pickup when using the Vox.

I had originally been planning to buy a Jackson with similar specs that was nearly 400 but then I saw this and knew that I had to at least have a look at it. Whether it was the better choice or not I'll never know, but for the price I paid (285) it is good. Maybe it could be the amps I'm using that inhibit the greatness of the guitar: the Vox isn't a high gain amp and the Spider is... well it's a Spider. If it got stolen I'd save up for a better spec Schecter/Jackson/Ibanez. But it was the first proper guitar I ever got (Squire Strat doesn't count) and nothing can change that fact.

This guitar will withstand gigging as long as it is looked after properly. But with it being Floyd Rose-equipped, not taking a backup would be a risk because of the restringing. As I've already said, the finish looks like it will last a long time. Plus it looks good! With the guitar being all mahogany, it is a bit heavy so investing in strap-locks wouldn't be a bad idea. The hardware does seem like it will last for a while if cared for properly.

The paintjob is very thick and seems like it will last for a while. To attest to this, I have knocked the fins on walls and corners and there are no chips or dents in it. However I did buy this second-hand so it wasn't set up perfectly when I bought it, plus it was a bit grimy so it needed a clean. One problem that arose soon after buying the guitar, was that the output jack came loose which caused a great deal of panic until I realised that all I had to do was tighten it with a pair of pliers. Also, the tone and volume knobs are useless. When the latter isn't at full or minimum, it creates a wash of feedback. The tone knob makes the notes sound sharper but it also creates a wash of feedback. Now, the major problem was that this was my first Floyd Rose-equipped guitar so restringing was a long, painful process. These kinds of experiences can put people off floating tremolo bridges.

Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo Bridge plus locking nut Randall Egnater passive pickups Phenolic fretboard Buzz Feiten tuning system Mahogany body Set-in mahogany neck 24 XL frets Randy Rhoads-style body Silver finish with black pinstripe Finished neck 25.5 scale 3-way pickup selector, 1 tone knob, 1 volume knob Star inlays I also got a decent bag and a set of allen keys with the guitar.

HoddiDarko
    naranjofox73
    Just baught one of these used.. not bad for the price 250$. The pickups could be better to get a more heavy crunch metal sound and better pinch harmonics but the clean is great. I will definately trade up this guitar in a while for something that sounds more like my dimebag razorback v explosion....that that guitar is the shit bro hands down not much sounds better but thats a different review...so i digress.
    Alpha_Wolf
    r0ckth3d34n wrote: I love this guitar. I wanted to get the non-floyd version in white.
    Hey, same here!
    simpsonofadown
    This definitely looks like a solid jackson knock-off, but hey part of picking a guitar is personal preference. The review might have been slightly better had this been a new guitar, instead of being bough second hand. Also I'm not a fan of the shape either. It almost looks "stubby"
    Marley Tokunaga
    barden1069 wrote: I feel like I'm gonna be flamed for this, but I hate the way that thing looks...
    Don't worry, I hate it too. I've just never really liked V's.
    WiZoRZ
    yes thats waht happening, sad lol
    PhantomChassit
    MRoby wrote: HoddiDarko wrote: Gitaarbanaan wrote: body shape is a Alexi laiho custom copy ...so it looks nice at least. For the price a decent guitar I guess Shit, Are people starting to call guitars that were made for Randy Rhoads, Alexi Laiho guitars? I guess, since Laiho's paintjob is on this rhoads copy lol. I always have called it an RR with laiho paintjob for that reason.
    No, Randy Rhoads style is different. As MC Lukesta said, it's slightly curved on the bottom fin. It has the V shape, like a RR style, but the curve throws it off. It kind of ruins it for me. =S I'd much rather have a Jackson RR style for V, but those things are damn expensive. -_-
    Good_Lord
    This is a Randy Rhoads like guitar , it's not a Rhoads , check out Jackson's RR24 , you'll see the difference = P other than that , sweet looking guitar man
    EpiExplorer
    the seventh son
    Might sound like a wierd question, but as I'm from Altrincham as well could you please tell me what shop you got it from?
    MRoby
    MC Lukesta
    EpiExplorer wrote: So.. you dont turn your guitar dials up full? Wow, dude. Like, must just be you sitting too close to your amp. I've never heard of that problem before, unless your guitar has some hidden surprises of the shit variety.
    No, I turn the volume knob up to full but not the tone because it creates too much feedback and the notes sound too sharp, if you know what I mean.
    krvolok
    In the immortal words of J.C.R.Clarkson-"Work harder and get a better..."...guitar in this case.
    FreekBos
    Feedback when tone and volume are set high might be a problem with your amplifier sending out a certain frequency too loud. Try adjusting the eq on your amplifier. Additional you could try a eq stompbox or rack eq to substract some of the problamatic freq's. This way you can have way more bang coming out of your amp without having the feedback issues. Another, simpler and easier solution is. Turn down the volume and step away from the amp.
    OXL
    Other than that, I think it was a pretty decent review.
    Gitaarbanaan