X10 review by Washburn

Washburn: X10

Purchased from: Musician's Junkyard

My music style is a bit undefined, you know, I play lots of stuff, but this guitar suits them all pretty well. The bridge humbucker sounds good, but it's not a Washburn pickup lol. I was doodling around with the insides of my guitar, and noticed on the back of the humbucker it said Epiphone, not Washburn, oh well. Anyways, the bridge humbucker gets a real nice distorsion sound, but its not all that great for clean sounds. The middle and neck pickups are good for a clean or very slightly distorted sound, but there a noisy and muddy when it comes to average to high distorsion. The pickup selector is kinda of noisy, but not as bad as other guitars' pickup selectors. The volume and tone knobs have to be cranked to get a good sound, more so with the volume knob though.

As I said before, this guitar mathces my many styles pretty well. I've been playing about 7 months now, and this guitar should help fuel me for at the very least another 2 years before I decide I absolutely need a better guitar to suit my growing needs. The only thing I wish it had was 2 humbucker pickups instead of 2 single coils and one humbucker. If it were stolen, lost, are burnt beyond repair I would probaly buy a new one, then beat the person who stole it or damaged it agressivly. I'm just kidding, im not that violent.

I think this guitar would withstand live playing without issues. The strap buttons are solid, the hardware looks as if it will last quite a while, and the finish doesn't wear easy. Although, being the picky and worrysome polock that I am, I would probaly bring another guitar to a show with me, more for a variety of sounds than fears that the Washburn would nreak down.

Overall it was pretty good except for 2 things; the pickup selector is a bit noisy, and the bridge pickup was not mounted correctly. I'm not sure if the bridge pickup was loose when i got it or if it got losse in my thrashing about with the guitar, but it was a 10 min. fix. No big deal.

Overall, it's a pretty basic beginners guitar; solid wood body (what wood is beyond me), trem bridge, stock tuners, jumbo frets, HSS pickup configuration and Strat body styling. There are 2 things that are different though; it has 24 frets, not like the standard 21 or 22 I see on beginners guitars, and it has a rosewood fretboard, unlike it's features as listed on Washburn.com. Anyway, it s pretty good beginners guitar, not for the intermediate or pro level guitarist though.