X10 review by Washburn

Washburn: X10

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I play different types of metal and alternative, and the guitar suits my musical style pretty well. I am using a Marshall MG10CD amp (total noob amp, I know) with no effects or pedals. This was my first guitar and I was a newbie when I got it, so now that I am discovering exactly what style of music I want to play, the X10 is becoming more limiting. Most of the settings aren't bad, and 3 out of 5 settings are full sounding. The guitar has a variety of sounds it can make, considering it is a beginners guitar. With the amp I use, when on full gain and the 5th tone setting, this Washburn seems to resemble a Punk-ish sound, which dosen't help me much unless I am playing grunge or alternative rock (which it does well). When put to a clean setting, the guitar plays nicely, although not as full and dosen't have as much sustain as it should. On all settings however, the only real major problem that effects any player is fret-buzzing, which this guitar has plenty of. This is only a set back if you are playing profound power chords or slow riffs. I also use this guitar for some thrash metal sounding material, but with my little amp, there isn't much of a noise gate, so sounds can become blurry and sloppy. For anyone who plays alternative rock or metal like I do, this guitar does better with alternative/punk then the metal, although I suppose it could play less extreme hard rock variations as well.

I wouldn't say that the guitar is a great match for what I play, but it is as close as you can get with my equipment at such a low cost. I have been playing for two years but have only had this guitar for a little over one year. I wouldn't have asked anything before purchasing this guitar because it was such a good deal for a fine beginners guitar, and I played others before purchasing. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably start saving early for my next, better guitar, but this one would be soley missed, and so I would probably get another one. I think this is a great beginners guitar and I can't think of anything to hate, but I only wish it came with better selections on the selector Switch, that further suited my needs. My favorite feature is probably the tremolo. Although at first it seems to have little effct on playability, it grew on me and I started using it more in music, even if it isn't the best quality one. I compared it to the Billet Squier Stratocaster in the store, because the guy said it would be a best bet for a beginners guitar. I chose this one hands down because it played better as the Squier felt rigid and stiff, while this one played with ease. Overall, this guitar has the best buy and the best features for a beginner guitar.

I think this guitar would hold up well and could withstand live performances. The hardware is iffy looking at times, but I think it will last awhile. The strap buttons seem solid and well made, and I think this is a dependable guitar. I would use this guitar at a gig without backup, taking into consideration that I have some sort of substantial effects and a better amp, of course. The finish seems to hold up well, and I have smuges on it, but no dents or scratches. The durability of this guitar is excellent considering it is a beginners guitar.

The guitar was set up well when I got it, and I was a newbie so I didn't have any problems with the action or the neck, and I still don't. The pickups have been fine for me since I bought it over a year ago. The bridge was fine although the neck is sometimes alittle slow whe it comes to fast actions, and very dry in cold conditions, so it requires adjusting at times. Other than the above mentioned fret-buzzing and slow actions, there were no true flaws to the guitar. It is a beginners guitar, and it won't be the best guitar quality, but it is just good enough.