X10 review by Washburn

Washburn: X10

Purchased from: Brookdale Music

My style is rock and jazz. For the rock, it suits me okay because the higher frets go out of tune. The jazz is fine but the tone knob almost needs to be at zero for jazz. I have a Laney Hard Core Max 15 Watt amp and it came in the beginner's package so it's not very good. I don't have any effects but this amp has a "crunch" setting and that's not too good, it just jumbles everything up. This guitar has a very bland sound, not distinct.

I really need this guitar for jazz and this guitar is a very good fit for any style of guitar playing. I had no intention of what I was going to play when I first got this guitar, but it has turned out fine. I don't own any pedals or effects but I wish I had some. Just recently, I have upgraded to a Schecter 006 Elite guitar and that is a lot better than this beginner's guitar. I rated this an 8 for a beginner's guitar because I know a lot of guitars that are better for an intermediate guitar player.

I have taken this guitar back and forth to many places with only a gig bag and it hasn't broken anything yet. The strap doesn't really stay in place and sometimes it just falls off. Whenever my jazz group plays, we have a Fender Stratocaster waiting just in case. The finish on this guitar is solid and only has one chip (I dropped it on the grass).

The guy at the shop set the guitar up for me and fixed everything so that it would be good. After about a year, the nut fell off and I had to glue it back on. I've noticed that sometimes when I'm playing jazz, that the Switch gets in the way of my strumming and that can get really annoying! When you change the Switch, there is a lot of buzzing. The only thing that was wrong when I got it was that the springs in the back were all crooked.

This is a very basic guitar, I think, because it has very basic Washburn "stock" pickups. I got this guitar about three years ago, and the people at the store sold us this because it was in a beginning guitar package with an amp, a gig bag, a strap and a cable. 24 frets, some of the higher frets get out of tune when I'm playing up there. Sometimes I have to tune the guitar in the upper range if I'm playing a high song. There's one volume knob and one tone knob. There is a five way selector but I only use the farthest settings (the "rock" and the "jazz" setting).

El_Lobo_1
    I plan to buy one and upgrade it with a Dimebucker in the bridge, a new paint job, and DiMarzio pickups it the neck. Hmm... I wonder if I could take out the old tremolo and install a Floyd Rose tremolo .