X10 review by Washburn

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Washburn: X10

Purchased from: Uptown Music

Typically, I play a lot of punk, metal, and alternative. While it's very good for punk, it doesn't do much in the way of metal. Pinch harmonics are almost am impossibility, and harmonics in general just don't sound quite right. One thing I noticed immediately is this guitar has a lot of fret buzzing. Mine came with two defective ones. The 17th fret cannot be used altogether, which is a downer for soloing. It seems that all the frets above 14 or so start to sound very terrible. More of an annoying high pitch than anything. The guitar seems to do ok with drop tuning though, but it could use improvement in the barre chord area. I have to admit, I was impressed with the sound this can make with octaves. Right now I'm using it with a Peavey 40W, and it seems ok. No effects or pedals. On really high distortion and a punkish setting, it sounds alright. But, if you want to play clean, there is definitely better.

This is a great match for punk, and an ok match for metal. (Both of which I prefer to play) It sounds very sloppy with thrash though, and lacks tone with clean playing. I've been playing with this guitar for about eight months, and it is the only one I own right now. Though I have played on quite a few. I do wish I had asked if it was good for soloing, the fact that this can't solo really kills it for me. If this were lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy it again. Probably go with ESP or something of that sort. It did come at a great price, and it looks pretty good. My favorite feature is probably the ease of action and pickup adjustment. But, once again, I hate the fret buzzing and the total garbage that is any fret beyond 14. I compared this guitar to the B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series. And let me tell you, definitely go with the X10. I compared it to the Warlock because that's the most accessible guitar for me (one of my friends has it). Definitely a beginners guitar (an pretty good one too).

This guitar is relatively reliable from what I've experienced. No dings or scratches yet (though I haven't treated it badly) It seems pretty sturdy, and it is definitely dependable. The paint is kind of thin, but if you're careful that won't really matter. The only huge warning with this guitar though: it eats strings. For some reason (and it's not my playing, I guarantee that) this guitar seems to eat through strings. They always break at the saddles, which might be the source of the problem.

The X10 comes set up typically. Good action, and with extremely light strings (though the actual size eludes me. Something like 9-36 or something) The pickups were a little far from the strings for my taste, but everything else seemed in order. The only real flaw was the strap bold on the side closest to the neck. The screw inside stripped the wood, but it was easily remedied with some wood glue. No biggie. Right now mine is set up with 11-49 D'Adrio strings, and in Eb tuning. It seems to be holding relatively well, though a large amount of adjustment had to be made (never let the guy at Uptown Music set this up). The only other real flaws is that this creates a ton of buzzing when not being played. And it tends to create feedback really, really easily. Another flaw is that the strap is a very cheap, trashy one (the plastic in it literally fell apart one day).

This guitar is made in China, and features (unlike many beginner guitars) 24 frets as opposed to 22. The fingerboard wood is Rosewood, and it sounds relatively ok. It's got a Strat style body, one volume nob, one tone nob, and a 5-way pickup selector. It has 2 single coils and one humbucker, and Schaller type tuners. The one I purchased came with a gig bag, dvd, strap, cable, various wrenches and other tools, and a 15 watt Washburn amp (which I quickly ditched). It also came with three very light Washburn picks.