X10 review by Washburn

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Washburn: X10

Purchased from: Music123.com

The sound almost impressed me. The single coils are quite good for bluesy, jazzy, or clean riffs. The humbucker is great for rock and metal. Pinch harmonics are a breeze on this guitar, and regular harmonics sound decent. The knobs work surprisingly well and there's a huge contrast between the humbucker and the single coils. It sounds good for what I paid, but nothing more. When compared to my other guitars, it's very "blah".

I paid $120 for this guitar. I planned on re-painting it, putting in new pickups, getting a Floyd Rose for it, etc. If I did all of that, it might sound alright and cease to piss me off. But I did none of those things, so it still angers me. For the $120 you pay for it, it's a half-way decent guitar. As far as being a "go-to"guitar, well, I wish I would've bought the Ibanez.

I haven't gigged with this guitar yet. Hell, I haven't even brought it to practice. Truthfully, I think this guitar would last a gig. I think it would last a whole tour. It would need to have a "check-up" every night to fix little flaws, but it could last with all of it's original hardware. As far as lasting through a song (tuning-wise); it should be fine as long as you don't use the whammy bar. This guitar would be a back-up... an extreme emergency back-up. An "all of my other electric guitars started on fire and we couldn't save them" emergency guitar. Tuning is very unreliable, but the hardware and such is very sturdy.

The finish is the one of the only things that impressed me with this guitar. It's so shiny that you can see yourself in it. The only problem with the finish is that it attracts dust immensely. I have to dust it every day, or just deal with it. The playability is actually quite nice. Pinch harmonics are easy, but tapping can be quite difficult. As you go up the neck (towards the body) the action gets really high. Most of the time it's not a problem, but as I said, tapping up there is really hard. Also, when I first got it in the mail, the high E and B strings would hit a fretwire and die out when I tried to fret a note. I fixed it by rasing the saddles on these two strings and now it's fine, but it just goes to show you how poorly put together this guitar was. And don't even get me started on the whammy bar again.

This is a 2007 Washburn X10 guitar. It is a Strat-shaped guitar that has 24 frets, a glossy black finish (that attracts so much dust, I have to wipe it off every day), and a whammy bar. It's fitted with two single-coil pickups, a humbucker, a 5-way selector switch, a volume knob, and a tone knob. It came with a cable, some tools, and a handy-dandy rubber band. Overall, it looks as if it's a great guitar. That's where they get you. I bought this guitar because I wanted a guitar with a whammy (or whatever you want to call it) bar. Being my third electric guitar, I had already had experience in guitar playing. But I had never played a guitar with a vibrato bar, so naturally it's the first thing I decided to check out. I plugged it in my Marshall MG10 (yes, I know it's a crap amp, let's just look past this point) with the included cable and struck a chord. One problem. The high E and B strings were already rubbing against the frets. So I raised the saddles on those strings, re-tuned, and tried again. A decent sounding C chord. I let it ring, reached for the bar and pushed down. All seemed well, until I let go of the bar. I started playing again and realized that about half the strings were out of tune already. After a quick re-tuning (agian) I decided to try out the bar one more time, this time with a G chord. I struck it and pushed the bar down, a little bit less this time. I continued playing and realized that it was out of tune again. No matter what you do with the bar, (after a while I tinkered with the bridge and made it a floating bridge, but that didn't help) this guitar is going to go out of tune. Guaranteed.