X10 review by Washburn

Washburn: X10

Purchased from: dvguitars.com

I use it with a Marshall MG100DFX to play mostly metal, and with the bridge humbucker selected and the gain cranked up it can sound pretty aggressive. You can set it up to have a cleaner, more bluesy sound if you fiddle with the tone and your amp settings, although this isn't an area I've experimented a lot in.

This guitar was only 90, and for that price you'll be hard pushed to find a better guitar, for sheer playability. I would recomend this guitar if you are just starting out, it was my second guitar, my first 'real' guitar (my very first, well, let's not go into that), and it certainly saw me through a year until I felt confident enough that I'll carry on playing guitar to buy a much better model, I'm eyeing up a Jackson. All in all, I wouldn't want this guitar to be stolen, but more for sentimental value than awesomeness. 90 for begineers is a very good deal.

I probably wouldn; t gig with this guitar, and almost certainly not as my first choice, the volume has a tendency to cut out at inapproriate times, the input is very loose. The metal on the pickups has begun to rust, but is not detrimental to the sound (yet), and the strap buttons are solid and reliable even without strap locks. The finish too seems pretty reliable.

The action is pretty good, no real problems if you're playing at speed. The pickups were much too high, especially in the neck position, but this was easily rectified. The black finish does show up any kind of smudge or dirt, and all the dust in my house collects around the pickups, but it's not a real problem.

The guitar has 24 frets and a bolt on maple neck. I have it in black and would consider it an average looking guitar. The tone knob takes you from a soft bluesish sound (if your amp is on clean) through to a decent rock/metal distorted sound (if your amp is on distortion). The volume kno is pretty good. Although my guitar was made in China it is relatively well made, although it does tend to go out of tune rather easily. The bridge humbucker gives out a pretty nice sound for the metal I like to play (Bullet for My valentine etc), while the neck pickup sounds ok for clean rock.

iGuitarist
    this was my first electric guitar(i have only been playing for two years)i absolutely love.my first acoustic an epiphone aj 1.i highly recomend it for newbs but for people who hav been playing a while and got like $200 in there pocket,just get a cheap epi les paul