X10 review by Washburn

Washburn: X10

Purchased from: S&S Audio

The X-10 actually suits my style well, which is metal, classic rock, shreddin, thrash, and all those freakin head bangin styles. Now I run it through a Marshall MG100DFX amp with a 4X12 cab. It is a very noisy guitar but only when your not playin. It has a raw, metally tone. It is kinda limited in the sounds it can make, but ya know, this is a beginner guitar.

The X-10 is a good beginner guitar if you wanna learn to play some metal and thrash, but not very good for strumming and that type music. I have played for four years, and I own an all original 1946 Fender Acoustic, no I'm not selling it, an Eagle acoustic, and a Yamaha FG-330 acoustic (I think that's the model). I am totally sastified with the little Washburn X-10. But if it were stolen, I'd just go buy a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top. I love the headstock on this thing. It is very different. it's unique I guess you could say. I hate nothing about this guitar. I compared to a few others, this was best. Only thing I wanna add is a Floyd Rose tremolo.

This guitar will and has withstood Live playing. My band, Savio, it quite a rowdy band and it has withstood well. The hardware is gonna last too. It is a very solid guitar. The strap buttons however were an issue, and I replaced both with longer screws and a little loktite, and now that baby is freakin solid.The finish is kinda thin, has a few chips in it, but it's fine. Oh by the way, it is light metallic blue.

As far as action, fit, and finish, this guitar was perfect. The only thing that was really wrong were the tuning machines. The pickups were right. The bridge was aligned. I done a little filing on the frets, but I like mine a bit more filed than it came. The knot on the neck I guess would be considered a flaw.

I got my X-10 as a beginner. It was my first electric. It's a 2004 model. If I'm not mistaken it was mede in the USA. It's a 22 medium jumbo fret rosewood fret board. The neck is maple, which is nice but unfortunately there is a knot in the wood near the headstock. The body consists of some type of freakin resin, and it is extremely light, and good for gigs. The body style is quite similar to the Stratocaster, a double cutaway but no pickguard. I left the original tremolo bridge on there and it does ok but can't touch a Floyd Rose. Not too sure if the electronics are active or passive, but it has a 5-way selector switch, one tone, and one volume. It has a single coil at the neck, a single coil mid, and a humbucker at the bridge. They are the stock pickups, and hum loudly and squawk when the volumes on ten. But you can turn it to 9 and it's ok. The freakin tuners were crap so I replaced them with some schaller locking tuners. The guitar came with a gig bag, 15watt amp, crappy strap that broke and made my guitar fall, a little cable that sucks, and the allen wrench that adjusts the saddles, and the truss rod wrench/bar thing. But overall it was alright for a beginner.

Pingis_Or_Death
    El_Lobo_1 wrote: I plan to buy one and upgrade it with a Dimebucker in the bridge, a new paint job, and DiMarzio pickups it the neck. Hmm... I wonder if I could take out the old tremolo and install a Floyd Rose tremolo .
    Dimebuckers are horrible, dont put them in your guitar.